becoming more fit but burning less cals?

Options
OTchic
OTchic Posts: 205 Member
So I used to burn 400 easily within 30min almost 40 but now I need to workout for 45 min to burn 400cals. So I noticed my heart rate isn't getting as high as it used to thus I am burning less and finding myself working out more. Can anyone explain this to me? Now that I am becoming fit I need to bust my butt off even more,,,?!! ahhh

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    http://pfitblog.com/2011/07/09/why-losing-weight-gets-harder-as-you-get-thinner/

That's probably the best I can do for you--it sounds like after we've lost the weight, it takes less force to propel our bodies forward, ergo fewer calories burned. I agree, I've noticed this as well. But on the other hand, you've lost so much weight that your calorie-burning rate has changed. That's awesome!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why aaagh? wouldnt you rather get fit than stay unfit and unhealthy just to be able to burn more calories?

sorry i dont mean to be rude or anything but i dont get questions like this or the ones where people complain about burning less calories because they are losing weight. if you want to burn as many calories as you did before then keep the same body and fitness level as you had as when you first started or suck it up and work harder because being fitter means you can work harder
  • OTchic
    Options
    i say aaggh because i still have 10lbs to lose and we know that 3500cals is a pound so now i have to do that *10. so now that i burn less i really have to work harder. i am not seeking sympathy but i do work 30hrs a week and im a full time student with a toddler so while i have been able to squeeze 30min here and there soon ill have to really work at it and spend an hour. this take dedication am if i can dedicate time for work school and my son i will fit more exercise in as well. of course i am happy to be in better shape!

thanks soehl for the link i will go ahead and read it! good to know im not alone! but now i understand why people say the last pounds are harder to get off. i totally get it now!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The more exercise you do and the more fit you become, the harder you do have to work because you're becoming healthier and better conditioned. Your body is becoming a very well-oiled machine. So this is a great thing -- except that you do have to work harder to burn more. I'm right there with you. It's a happy problem. :smile: /:frown:
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It simply means that your body is functioning more efficiently therefore it needs less energy to keep it going. This is a good thing, but it is frustrating. I think that's probably why people nearing their target weight find it so hard to lose those last 10 pounds or whatever.

I've noticed this in myself as well. I work out and weigh myself on the wii fit and at the end of each workout, if I've lost a pound or so, my total calorie burn will be less (only by a couple of calories) than it was before despite putting in the same effort for the same amount of time.

Like I said, it is a good thing. As you get fitter, you'll realise you can do things you wouldn't have been able to do when you were less healthy/fit and you can burn those extra calories working your way up the fitness ladder.

Keep up the good work :smile:
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    interesting x
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn the same amount of calories in 30 mins, you'll to increase your intensity level. Drive yourself harder or increase your time. Good Luck. I know it sucks but that's just how it goes.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing this too! I weigh 150 and I would LOVE to lose 45 but I'm thinking I need to change my goal to 30 or 40. Argh.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You're smaller, so of course it takes less energy to move your body around.

When I started, every day I would walk my dogs. It would give me 120 calories. Now I only get 77 calories from that same walk. But I'm MUCH happier and healthier now.
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am also realizing this reality this week! Time to turn up the intensity of our workouts, sista!!! :happy:

Protein is your friend! Grab a good protein to help recover from these more intense workouts and still stay on track with your calories for the day!

Kimi
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    On the one hand, as you lose weight, it takes more effort to lose the same number of calories as you were losing with less effort at a greater weight. On the other hand, your body is fully capable of "adjusting" to a specific workout, which is why experts suggest you switch up your routine every 3-4 weeks.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    http://pfitblog.com/2011/07/09/why-losing-weight-gets-harder-as-you-get-thinner/

That's probably the best I can do for you--it sounds like after we've lost the weight, it takes less force to propel our bodies forward, ergo fewer calories burned. I agree, I've noticed this as well. But on the other hand, you've lost so much weight that your calorie-burning rate has changed. That's awesome!

wow, really like that site's explanation! Now I have a maybe better guess as to what I burn on a normal daily basis.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    So I used to burn 400 easily within 30min almost 40 but now I need to workout for 45 min to burn 400cals. So I noticed my heart rate isn't getting as high as it used to thus I am burning less and finding myself working out more. Can anyone explain this to me? Now that I am becoming fit I need to bust my butt off even more,,,?!! ahhh

Seriously?
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Sometimes this gets me down. Today I worked my butt off for an hour. My hair was drenched in sweat.
    Yes there was some ab work and weights which never let me burn calories, but one hour 200 calories!
    Yes I am happy I am fit! I am happy I am skinny. But how will I ever lose the last few pounds?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So I noticed my heart rate isn't getting as high as it used to thus I am burning less and finding myself working out more.
    Your body is becoming physically fit. Congratulations. Now see those two arrows beside the treadmill speed arrows? It's called incline. Problem solved. You can run the same amount of time and burn calories just like you used to. No need to thank me.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Your body strives for efficiency. It loves to do the best job with the least amount of work possible. Your immune system, for example, likes to find, kill, and remember viruses and other agents you come into contact with, because when you meet those bad guys again, your body doesn't want to be caught off-guard.

Your entire cardiovascular system (your heart, lungs, and circulation), likes to do things efficiently. If you ask a lot of it for a while, it doesn't have to work harder than it has to, so your muscles get larger, and process oxygen better. Your red bone marrow puts out hormones that increase your blood content and ability to hang on to oxygen, so your heart doesn't have to pump as hard. Overall, your body adjusts to the work increases, so it's easier for your body to maintain it's current levels (which helps overall health, but doesn't really help for fast weight-loss.) What you need to do is change up your routine, so that you're asking your body to do different things. Explosive exercises that require a lot of anaerobic effort (i.e. sprinting, jumping, hills, etc.), are great for that, because they keep your body guessing.

Still, count yourself as improving! Even if you don't burn as many calories, your body is efficient, healthier, and functioning well. I'd count that as a win.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    this is normal so what you need to do is add interval training into the mix while walking or jogging do 10 sets of all out sprints x 30 seconds if 10 is too many then start with 5 and only do these 2-3 x a week. once 30 seconds becomes to easy then add 2 more sets or increse sprints to 45 seconds.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    So I noticed my heart rate isn't getting as high as it used to thus I am burning less and finding myself working out more.
    Your body is becoming physically fit. Congratulations. Now see those two arrows beside the treadmill speed arrows? It's called incline. Problem solved. You can run the same amount of time and burn calories just like you used to. No need to thank me.

LMAO! :laugh: :heart: it! :drinker:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    i say aaggh because i still have 10lbs to lose

Most likely, you are doing more cardio than muscle mass building. Take your mind OFF the 10 pounds, and focus on your body fat %. LIFT WEIGHTS. Build Muscle, Tone the body....BURNS FAT :)
  • OTchic
    Options
    thank you all for your great advice i love coming on here and having people HELP me!

for those of you that are sarcastic i wish i could just block all the negativity it's sooo annoying!