how do you know what size frame you have??

jazzy020106
jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have heard people say oh she has a small frame.. or a big frame or whatever.. so i was wondering.. how do i know what size frame i have?? lol. .sorry if this question is silly.. but i really want to know

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    If you can take your middle finger and touch it to your thumb around your wrist then you have a small frame.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    If you can take your middle finger and touch it to your thumb around your wrist then you have a small frame.

Thanks for this! Apparently I have a small frame, I never knew.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    oh thats cool.... i have a small frame to... lol...
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I'm not quite sure that's accurate, because the ratio would be the same - if you are big your hands will be big therefore you can wrap your fingers around a bigger wrist- you see?

I don't know about this web site, but there is a Body frame size web site with charts here:

http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html
  • I am certainly not for-sure on this, but I have heard...

Put your middle finger and thumb around your wrist, if they:
    - Easily Touch - Small Frame
    - Barely Touch - Medium Frame
    - Do not Touch - Large Frame

That puts me at a large frame, but that sounds about right. I am short, but I have quite broad shoulders, wide hips, and otherwise "big bones".
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    I'm not sure if there is a way to tell...when I was heavy my wrists were big so I said "I'm big boned" and claimed I'd never be tiny....when I lost 50lbs I found out I was WRONG! Even with a"belly" still and some extra cushin hanging out on my body I was either a size 0 or 2....Amazing, I'm actually a tiny thing under all this....I haven't seen that tiny girl in awhile but I'm looking for her again:laugh:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    theres a site that tells you actually
    you can measure your elbow or wrist...I used the elbow and have quite the large frame. 3.5" on the elbow measurement and Im 5'3"

taaaddaaaa
  • Very interesting site! I 'knew' I was large framed (I have hands the size of my father's!) but had nothing 'official' until I measured my wrist circumference. Wow! It was 6.75 inches and I can touch my finger to my thumb!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Jovialation
    I can easily touch my finger to my thumb around my wrist but thats because, of course, hands are generally proportionate to your arms!:tongue:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I am certainly not for-sure on this, but I have heard...

That puts me at a large frame, but that sounds about right. I am short, but I have quite broad shoulders, wide hips, and otherwise "big bones".

I've read the same things. However, I thought I had a large frame and then lost weight. Apparently I had fat wrists because now it measures differently. There's also some kind of test where you measure the bones in your elbow that is supposed to be more accurate.
  • Jovialation

I've read the same things. However, I thought I had a large frame and then lost weight. Apparently I had fat wrists because now it measures differently. There's also some kind of test where you measure the bones in your elbow that is supposed to be more accurate.

look up a few posts, the problem is solved I tell you!

man, no one actually reads threads here sometimes. :tongue:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member

I've heard this too but that it is supposed to be your INDEX finger and thumb.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I'm not quite sure that's accurate, because the ratio would be the same - if you are big your hands will be big therefore you can wrap your fingers around a bigger wrist- you see?

I don't know about this web site, but there is a Body frame size web site with charts here:

Great link. I'm off the chart, 8" wrist, 4-1/8" elbow. I knew I was a heavy build. Don't feel so bad about not getting to 200...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I associate small hands, fingers and wrists with a small frame.
  • Jovialation

Great link. I'm off the chart, 8" wrist, 4-1/8" elbow. I knew I was a heavy build. Don't feel so bad about not getting to 200...
    thats kinda how I felt about my weight in general when I found that out
    http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?2,5,3,157,3
    that also tells you what your healthy weight range is taking your frame into consideration
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member

thats kinda how I felt about my weight in general when I found that out
    http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?2,5,3,157,3
    that also tells you what your healthy weight range is taking your frame into consideration

That calculator's probably Ok for people of somewhat normal build. I'm off the charts, heavier than heavy build. For me:
    """Your ideal weight range-- 164 - 180.4 lbs. (74.5 - 82 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (68 inches) and frame size (Large).""

I'm 14% bodyfat. Based on real caliper measurements my lean body mass is right at 180 pounds. So,,, according to this calculator I have to get to 0% bodyfat to get in the top of my "healthy" range. I'd starve to death between supper and breakfast.

Tools are tools, and guidelines are guidelines, and a grain of salt is a grain of salt. :happy:
  • Jovialation
    hahaha awesome point
  • Mamakatspokane
    I'm sure this might offend some people and I am sorry. I don't think we do ourselves any favors by making the excuse of "big boned" if you would have asked my parents, anyone who ever knew me if I was big boned they would have said yes until I lost my weight in 20's and everyone was shocked (including me) by how little I was. I was just covered in fat...everywhere, wrists, elbows...everything. I just do not believe in such a thing as big boned...it's my own personal experience and everyone has there own opinion. I think the main thing is to be healthy.
    OK I said my peace and I'll be quiet now.:smile:
  • Mamakatspokane
    You must have posted when I was typing CasperO...I agree completly, no matter what the "tool" says, it's about being healthy :)
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    It also doesn't take age as a factor. My ideal weight could be 115 when I was in my 20s and I did weigh about 110 back then, but now that I'm pushing 40 and have had children, that is just unrealistic for me. I don't even think that would look healthy anymore.
This discussion has been closed.