My doctor wants me to do low carb; need advice

Options
13»

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie Forks Over Knives on Netflix, or rent it on Amazon. That movie will open your eyes to other options.

Remember...Dr Atkins died of a heart attack....he's the same dr that promised eating fats and meats would prevent heart disease.

You might want to google Dr Atkins, I did....this is what wikipedia had to say...

Heart attack
    Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest in April 2002, leading many of his critics to point to this episode as proof of the inherent dangers of the consumption of high levels saturated fat associated with the Atkins diet. In numerous interviews, however, Atkins stated that his heart attack was not the result of poor diet, but was rather caused by a chronic infection.[7] Atkins' personal physician and cardiologist, Dr. Patrick Fratellone, confirmed this assertion, saying "We have been treating this condition, cardiomyopathy, for almost two years. Clearly, [Atkins'] own nutritional protocols have left him, at the age of 71, with an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system." According to reports on CNN at the time of Atkins' convalescence, Dr. Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a member of the American Heart Association's national board of directors reported that "despite the obvious irony, I believe there is a total disconnect between [Atkins'] cardiac arrest and the health approach he [Atkins] popularizes."[11]
    [edit]Death

On April 8, 2003, at age 72, a day after a major snowstorm in New York, Atkins slipped on icy pavement, suffering severe head trauma. He spent nine days in intensive care, before dying on April 17, 2003 from complications from his head injury.[12] Atkins' work inspired a whole new tendency in dietetics, and many companies released low-carb diets and low-carb foods.[13]
    Is this the health guru you want to follow?
    BE MY GUEST!
    I'll take Jack LaLanne who was a healthy 94 before his decline and death at 96.
    Why would anybody still take seriously a diet guru with heart disease who died fat?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    I was on cholesterol and BP meds, and the doc was constantly hounding me about my ever rising blood sugar. Now I'm pretty much clean as a whistle.

I pretty much gave up everything made with white processed flour. Gave up white rice, potato chips, corn chips... Gave up processed foods. I now eat a lot of raw vegetables, fruits, and only whole grain foods (in small quantities). I've never been a big sugar eater, so that was never a problem. Dropped my blood sugar from 134 to 88. Dropped my triglycerides from 259 to 76.
    I can do this type of thing.

He didn't give me a number as to how long. He suggested Atkins or South Beach.

I consider South Beach a very lifestyle-oriented diet. I did Atkins some years ago, and I had a very hard really sticking to it for long.

there is 4 phases to atkins. i have a feeling you didn't gt past the second one!
    in phase 4, you learn what to eat instead of high carb alternatives (sweet potatoes instead of white, quinoa instead of rice, etc)
    its just maintaining your goal weight, while eating 75-100 grams of carbs.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    why don't you consider gluten free and skip the low carb. You could go lower carb while being gluten free and I think you'll meet the requirements of your doctor and still really enjoy it.

I'm gluten free and I love it. It can't hurt to try it.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You could do some whole grain carbs like oatmeal and berries in the morning and then go low carb the rest of the day? That may work.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie Forks Over Knives on Netflix, or rent it on Amazon. That movie will open your eyes to other options.

Remember...Dr Atkins died of a heart attack....he's the same dr that promised eating fats and meats would prevent heart disease.

Actually he died from a fall where he smacked his head pretty hard.

Watch Fat Head, it's way more entertaining! :P

fat head is an awesome documentary
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I recently saw on the news they are saying that Atkins can cause heart disease in women. My friend's sister died of a heart attack at the age of 48 and she was doing Atkins. I am not saying that was the cause, but ya never know.
  • DawnHowdyshell
    DawnHowdyshell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should really ask your dr. more specifics about how many you should be eating. I work in a diabetes clinic and i do know that carbs turn to sugar in the body. And he must have a very good reason as to why hes telling you this.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The South Beach diet isn't really "low carb". It is really easy to follow. You don't really restrict your carbs, you can't have corn and potatoes or refined grains. Plus the cook books are amazing. I followed it strictly for years and follow it loosely now. I have corn and potatoes on occasion.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

You might want to google Dr Atkins, I did....this is what wikipedia had to say...

Heart attack
    Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest in April 2002, leading many of his critics to point to this episode as proof of the inherent dangers of the consumption of high levels saturated fat associated with the Atkins diet. In numerous interviews, however, Atkins stated that his heart attack was not the result of poor diet, but was rather caused by a chronic infection.[7] Atkins' personal physician and cardiologist, Dr. Patrick Fratellone, confirmed this assertion, saying "We have been treating this condition, cardiomyopathy, for almost two years. Clearly, [Atkins'] own nutritional protocols have left him, at the age of 71, with an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system." According to reports on CNN at the time of Atkins' convalescence, Dr. Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a member of the American Heart Association's national board of directors reported that "despite the obvious irony, I believe there is a total disconnect between [Atkins'] cardiac arrest and the health approach he [Atkins] popularizes."[11]
    [edit]Death

On April 8, 2003, at age 72, a day after a major snowstorm in New York, Atkins slipped on icy pavement, suffering severe head trauma. He spent nine days in intensive care, before dying on April 17, 2003 from complications from his head injury.[12] Atkins' work inspired a whole new tendency in dietetics, and many companies released low-carb diets and low-carb foods.[13]
    BE MY GUEST!
    Why would anybody still take seriously a diet guru with heart disease who died fat?

His heart attack was due to cardiomyopathy he had been diagnosed with a few years before. At the time of the dx, his arteries were fine. His death was due to head trauma from a fall on an icy sidewalk, he "died fat" due to all the retained fluid from being pumped full of IVs as he lay dying in the ICU for 2 weeks.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

Heart attack
    [edit]Death

BE MY GUEST!

His heart attack was due to cardiomyopathy he had been diagnosed with a few years before. At the time of the dx, his arteries were fine. His death was due to head trauma from a fall on an icy sidewalk, he "died fat" due to all the retained fluid from being pumped full of IVs as he lay dying in the ICU for 2 weeks.
    nice spin....his people had to come up with something or the corporation stock might deflate.
    Anyway, do as you will.
    And seriously, good luck with your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. I was diagnosed with full blown type 2 Diabetes with A1c of 10.0 (about 250 a day average blood sugar) I had decided to lose weight natural or die trying and my Endo Dr. set me up with a Nutritionist and from day one there was never any talk of low carbs.. I was insulin resistant but she explained the obvious that my carb choices had to change.. Back then I was eating processed everything. Fast food, Pizza, cookies, snack cakes, etc. etc. Never looked at a chicken breast, fish, etc... Lived on Doritoes... I had to come to terms that I need to cut my ties with simple carbs, enriched flour, white bread, rice, etc.. I began eating more complex carbs and whole grains, multi grains, veggies, and fruits.. Along with chicken, fish, and lean meats... She set my carb intake at 60 grams at my main meals, and 20 grams at my snacks for an average of 240 grams a day.. and since then I have dropped 310 lbs. and my A1c the last 14 months have been 5.3 (pre-diabetic) and my carb intake has increased now to around 320 grams a day and I am still losing weight.... I am and always will have diabetes but it is under control now and hopefully will be with diet and exercise but in my case and I understand everyone is different but carbs are not the enemy.... Do you work with an Endocrinologist and or a nutritionist.. I like my Family Doctor alot but he was the first to step up and tell me at the beginning he knows just enough about nutrition to be dangerous and point me in the direction of the ones who could help me... Best of Luck...
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    please look at www.lowcarbdiets.about.com

its the best low carb site i have ever seen....I am a type 2 diabetic and have been doing low carb for a long time...i love it..
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine - who is morbidly obese - went on an Atkins like, no carb diet a month ago. This resulted in him suffering heart failure and spending the last week in intensive care. He's not doing the diet now and is instead losing weight by managing calories.

Might have been a coincidence, might not. But his health did suffer from the time he went on the no carb diet. He lost weight, but nearly lost his life.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Saw this this morning & thought it was fun :)

http://visual.ly/tale-two-meals
  • psvansc
    psvansc Posts: 1
    Options
    I like this! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since you've already given up white processed grains, If you cut out most of the sugar and replace on serving of fruit with a vegetable, you will probably be what most people consider 'low carb'. I never try to limit carbs, but I limit sugar and avoid overly processed grains and I often eat less than 100 carbs in a day. If you only count net carbs, I eat low carb more often than not.

You might also cut back on bread, even whole grain bread, and try to stick to less processed whole grains like brown rice, steel cut oats, quinoa, etc.
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery a number of years ago. After having 2 kids (after the surgery), I put 30 lbs back on from my lowest weight, needless to say, I'm not happy.
    When I saw the weight management doc, he convinced me to work on lowering my carb intake (even the "good carbs). So I've increased my protein (I try to get 80-90g/day) and decreased my carbs (60-70g/day). I cheat some here and there, it's a constant struggle. When I cut my carbs back drastically, I had about a week of constant headaches (detoxing my body from carbs), but after that, my energy level increased and I didn't miss all the carbs as much as I thought I would.