Problems with Polar Heart Rate Monitor??

Options
I have heard Polar heart rate monitors (FT4 & FT7) are the best. But has anyone run into problems with them suddenly not working correctly after just a few months? I want to buy one but I read some negative reviews on Amazon that make me hesitant. Any opinions?

Replies

• cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Mine lasted almost a year. Personally, I do reccomend the FT4 to people who are new and need something easy to program and read and also have fairly average resting heart rates. I now use a Garmin FR60 (love, love, love it) and also have a Timex Ironman (not great for cals but good for GPS) and would never go back to Polar.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happened to my FT4, it's very common and it turns out that in most cases it's down to poor maintenance of the cloth strap. Do a search on here and you'll find lots of "My Polar FT Something Stopped Working" threads, which usually end "Hey, I washed it properly and it works.

According to the instructions it must be rinsed straight after washing every time you wear it, and washed in a washing machine every five times you wear it.

Since I've been following these instructions properly, I've had no trouble with it whatsoever.

EDITED TO ADD: I've been extremely happy with my FT4, for me it was the ideal compromise between features and price, and I'm satisfied that the calorie estimations are as accurate as those on an HRM can be.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have heard Polar heart rate monitors (FT4 & FT7) are the best. But has anyone run into problems with them suddenly not working correctly after just a few months? I want to buy one but I read some negative reviews on Amazon that make me hesitant. Any opinions?

No issues with mine ... with proper maintenance, as noted above. :-)

For what it's worth, pretty much every product on Amazon has reviews by at least a few people who've had issues. No product's perfect, but I think people tend to post reviews when they have a problem than when all's well.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've only had my since March (have the FT4) and haven't had any problems. But I am very deligent about the maintenance as stated above. :smile:
  • roseeerickson
    roseeerickson Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am leaning toward the FT4. Would anyone else recommend this model? Are there any features that you love or hate?
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and if I had it to do over I would go for the FT40 for the fit test feature. Something to think about.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd one, they keep breaking, and I follow the proper instructions to a "T"" It's very annoying to say the least!!
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F6 that lasted about 2 years before it messed up, and it wasn't because of anything serious. The battery went dead and the watch battery guy broke it :/ Good luck
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and if I had it to do over I would go for the FT40 for the fit test feature. Something to think about.

Yes, if the cost isn't a big factor, I would get one with a fit test too. In fact, I plan to ask for one for Christmas to replace my FT7.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd one, they keep breaking, and I follow the proper instructions to a "T"" It's very annoying to say the least!!

Curious - how long have they lasted? I've had zero problems with mine in the 4 months or so I've had it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had two Polars an FT4 and FT60.. both have worked fabulously for me and I have had no problems what so ever.

I've changed the battery inside both transmitters and aside from the straps needing to be washed once a week or so, there have been no issues.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options

Curious - how long have they lasted? I've had zero problems with mine in the 4 months or so I've had it.

6-8 months all 3 times, then I start getting inaccurate readings, or it doesn't even pick up my heart rate. They were all still under warranty, so I just bring them back and get a new one and wait until it breaks again..*lol*

MANY people report problems, so personally I think there is a flaw in their strap design..
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've been using my FT7 almost daily for over a year. I wash the strap in the washer once a week. The only time I had an issue was when the battery in the transmitter was dying; had it replaced for $3 at a battery store.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    You can do that? I did not think you could get the battery replaced in the transmitter. I think mine went dead.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    love my FT4 have used it for over a year now with no problems! just sayin I have used in the pool as well as for my bike and running and it works great wasnt that expensive about 90e here in Ireland!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

The only time mine was unable to get a heartrate reading was when I didn't wet the strap enough, otherwise it has worked like a dream.

I have the Polar FT4, have had that for around sixteen months now and only had to change the batteries once about two weeks ago.

Fantastic little gadget, don't hesitate.

You do need to rinse the strap off after each use and stick it in the washing machine every five uses though, otherwise the salt from your sweat solidifies and can either ruin the sensors in the strap or the HRM may not work at all.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You can do that? I did not think you could get the battery replaced in the transmitter. I think mine went dead.

Yes, you can do that. I took mine along to a jewellers and had the battery replaced in the actual watch itself and also the battery in the transmitter.

That was one of the reasons I went for the Polar to be honest, some HRMs have to be sent back to the manufacturers for battery replacement however, the model I chose you can change them yourself.
  • ayrricka
    Options
    I've bought two in less than two months because the strap won't catch my heartbeat. The first one was a FT7. It worked for about two weeks and then it just kept saying my heart rate was 00. I thought the strap was bad, so I purchased another one. This time a FT4. It arrived today. I tried it fresh out the box, and the heart rate did the same thing, 00. Even my husband tried it (though maybe it was just me) and it did the same thing to him. I'm very frustrated!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Make sure the strap is tight enough. 6 inches is a good distance to have to pull it to fasten the clasp. Wet the area underneath the strap and make sure it's in good contact with the center of your chest. Other things I've had to do are: rinse the strap thoroughly (!!) and put it through a machine wash every so often. Change battery as described up thread when all else fails. The most common reason for me was not rinsing the strap often and properly after each use, sweat residue really screws up its performance! In your case with a new product it may just be applying water prior to use
  • ayrricka
    Options
    Still won't work. I'm shopping around for a different brand.