Low protein!?

Options
Just read an article in the Wallstreet journal about a low PROTEIN being the best diet out there.

This goes basically against everything I have been learning and reading and doing.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304458604577490943279845790.html

Am I getting the gist of this article correct?

Replies

• Jrflaw22
    Jrflaw22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are reading the article wrong. There is nothing in the article that speaks about LOW protein. The issue in the article is carbohydrates. None of the diets had less than 20% protein, which is not low. The articles focus was on whether a low carbohydrate diet is better than a diet with healthy carbohydrates. The article suggested that for long term weight loss and overall health, a diet with moderate carbs is better than low. The article cited to increased levels of hormones linked to heart disease in the low carb diet. Bottom line: everything in moderation. Too much protein in a diet is not good for the organs, particularly the kidneys anyway. Eat a balanced diet with a bit of everything and exercise regularly and you will live a long healthy life.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Whew! Sounds good to me! Thanks so much for the response.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The article says:

"The low-fat diet had the worst effect" on energy expenditure, Dr. Ludwig said. Participants on that diet also had increases in triglycerides, a type of fat, and lower levels of so-called good cholesterol. "We should avoid severely restricting any major nutrient and focus on the quality of the nutrient," he said.

And:

Dr. Ludwig said those on the low-carb diet had the biggest boost in total energy expenditure, burning about 300 calories more per day than those on the low-fat diet—about the same as an hour of moderate exercise. But that bump came at a cost: increases in cortisol, a stress hormone, and a measure of inflammation called CRP, which can raise the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Whoa dude!! Eat your lean mass in protein... so If you weigh 120 in muscle.. eat 120g of protein!!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cutting out any food group. We need carbs for energy...I do have to increase my protein but not sure about the 50% point for P90X like I'm supposed to. I guess I'm about 35% protein now b/c I'm building muscle but if you eat too little protein and too many carbs you're talking more hunger, erratic spikes in blood sugar, etc. Unless you're building muscle or diabetic, I would stick to the regular food pyramid guidelines or your default setting on MFP, which figures it all out for ya :)
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Whoa dude!! Eat your lean mass in protein... so If you weigh 120 in muscle.. eat 120g of protein!!

And just how do you find out how much your muscle weighs?
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I completely agree with not cutting out any group. I just follow the calories for now. With some extra protein on days I do Strength.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

There are many many different ways, google it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The article says:

"The low-fat diet had the worst effect" on energy expenditure, Dr. Ludwig said. Participants on that diet also had increases in triglycerides, a type of fat, and lower levels of so-called good cholesterol. "We should avoid severely restricting any major nutrient and focus on the quality of the nutrient," he said.

And:

Dr. Ludwig said those on the low-carb diet had the biggest boost in total energy expenditure, burning about 300 calories more per day than those on the low-fat diet—about the same as an hour of moderate exercise. But that bump came at a cost: increases in cortisol, a stress hormone, and a measure of inflammation called CRP, which can raise the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
    I didn't read the links but I read your post, thanks for posting it. I didn't know about the CRP heart disease and diabetes stuff, I'll have to look into it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You calculate it by working out your body fat% - what is not body fat is lean body mass. However, if you do not know your body fat % a rule of thumb is to eat at least 0.65g of protein per lb of total body weight.