OK...How do I do this?

Hello!
I am new here. I have battled my weight since probably around age 4. I am 34, 5'4" and 261 pounds. I have a long "weigh" to go. I have had issues with fibromylagia since age 12, and exercising has always been difficult. Diabetes types 1 and 2 run on both sides of my family, but by the grace of God I am still OK. I do have high blood pressure though, thanks to bad genes and super stressful job.
I have fertility issues. My husband and I have tried for years to have children, but no luck. All my "equipment" has the potential to work correctly, if I can get my hormones under control. My doctor has told me I have to lose weight. Two years ago, I lost 50 pounds! I have gained almost all of it back. I get so depressed with the ups and downs of life, and then I wallow and go inactive. I am also an emotional stress eater.
Two of my good friends, who have similar goals to mine, recommended myfitnesspal. So far, after 1 week, I have lost 1 pound. I just am so overwhelmed by what to track: calories, fats, carbs...what is best? I saw a segment on the news that the hypoglycemic diet tends to have better long-lasting results, but I don't know how to get that started. It's too much for me. Any suggestions?
I hate to cook, but I come from a long line of bakers. I love to bake, and I am so good at it. If I can learn to bake healthier things, I'll be in business. I am half-Mexican, and Mama taught me to cook that cuisine well. With all the yummy cheeses, it's not exactly figure-friendly. :-)
I guess I just need advice and support. I have wanted to join Weight Watchers, but I can't afford it AND a gym membership. I opted for this free app, and the gym membership. :)
Anyway, that's me. Any advice or easy recipes, I'm up for it. I am a picky eater though. I love all veggies, but I crave meats. I don't do seafood. My motto is if it comes from the sea, it's not for me. If it comes from the water, it's for an otter. I wish I could do it, but I gag every time! I hope to "meet' new people on here and help provide support for others, as well as find more support for myself.
Thank you!

Replies

• Catie_v2
    Catie_v2 Posts: 67
    Hi! Congrats on taking this first step. I have only been on this site for a few days but I have done Weight Watchers numerous times - and one of the reasons I was resistant to going back was the cost factor. I think your money is better spent at a gym - where they have all sorts of equipment for you to try and see what you like. My first piece of advice is dont get overwhelmed by all the information. I agree they give you a lot of information on here - I find at the end of the day I meet the calorie limit but some of the specifics are out of whack - too much protein, not enough fat (go figure!)...the way I see it - I have over 100 pounds to lose so by focusing on calories in and calories out initially the weight will start coming off. As time goes on I plan to focus my diet to fall into the specific parameters and see if it tightens things up. We'll see....I have a long road ahead and pretty much going a day at a time right now....

Always happy for new friends - feel free to add me! Btw...I dislike seafood too.....ewwwwwwwww
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Kelly, I am so proud of you for joining us on here......You and I have talked about our fertility issues and I am glad I have a great friend to share this journey with, I am glad you joined me here! I don't know if you have access to a nutritionalist through your medical insurance, but I went and saw one and they individualized my plan for me, and helped me figure out what choices I could/should have to meet my tastes, and needs. It might be an idea, maybe a nutritionalist that has knowledge of food plans for those with your needs of fibromylagia....
  • Thanks, Jen for recommending a nutritionist. I will look into it. My insurance covers SO little, it may not. At least I have insurance though. I would KILL to be back on SBCUSD's insurance plan. :) I spent our entire life's savings last summer doing my fertility tests. I was able to try 2 months of hormones before the money ran out. I was so torn up after I failed the 2nd month. My doctor told me to have at least 6 months worth of money saved to try the hormones for so long. I don't have that kind of money. He said just take it easy, work on my weight, and we'll try again. I just have to believe...:)
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Kelly, we will get through this together, and push each other to stay on the path, we have an ultimate goal in mind, and that is what pushes me everyday to do my best at staying on track. Having a lot of nieces and nephews is great, but I want my own child. I also know where you are coming from where some of your friends can just look and someone and they get pregnant.....not really, but you get what I mean....I just have to think my time will come, one way or another.....
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Hi and welcome, this weight lose journey can be so scary,way to long,and frankly seem quite impossible, but it doesn't have to be. As with any journey you start with the first step, which you have already taken, now you take it one step at a time, baby steps even. Make small changes get use to them, then make more small changes soon you will have totally changed your outlook and will be able to meet your goals. When you try something and it doesn't work you try something else. You can do this and you will accomplish much. Just never quit, commit to working it out until you have reached your goal. You will be amazed with what you can do, good luck and remember take it slow, baby steps, and keep us posted on how you are doing
  • Trying new things is awesome but I don't eat anything that came from the water, either. Yesterday I ate some because I didn't want to cook 2 different proteins and my husband LOVES salmon. It wasn't terrible but I still feel nauseous thinking about it. I love to bake too! I don't like very sweet things so I like to add fruit or nuts and cut back on the sugar. I want to loose about 70 more lbs and also hope the will help with fertility issues because they suck. You're not alone and you can definitely do this
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Welcome to MFP - it has radically changed my life!
    I think the easiest way to "do this" is to be gentle on yourself, make changes gradually, and aim to set up good habits that you can keep for life.

- Set moderate goals (ie don't get hung up on losing all the weight in two months, because that just makes you feel bad when it doesn't happen).
    - Exercise when you can, any movement is good movement, you don't gave to be running marathons or lifting heavy weights if you aren't able to (if you can, they are great, but aren't essential!).
    - Don't read too many different articles about the "right" way to lose weight, that just gets confusing. Start simple - stick to the calories that MFP recommends and once you are comfortable eating those cals you can start looking at the macros (fat, carbs etc).

Good luck!