Question RE: Sodium

Options
Does anyone know what the Daily Recommended Amount of Sodium in one's diet should be?

Replies

• DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the Daily Recommended Amount of Sodium in one's diet should be?
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    I think the daily recommended value of sodium for a healthy diet is around 2,400 mg.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Less than 2400mg
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    I found this online at: http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/nutrients/na/sodium.html

There is no RDA for sodium because the human diet has never lacked it. An adequate amount of sodium for adults is between 250 and 500 mg/day. The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for healthy adults is 2300 mg/day. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends an upper limit of 1500 mg/day for people over 50 and 1200 mg/day for those over 70. The average American adult consumes 4000 mg/day.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 2000 and 2500mg
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank You.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Since I have hypertension, I was told the maximum sodium intake for me is 2,000 mg or 2g.:sad:
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    I found this online at: http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/nutrients/na/sodium.html

There is no RDA for sodium because the human diet has never lacked it. An adequate amount of sodium for adults is between 250 and 500 mg/day. The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for healthy adults is 2300 mg/day. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends an upper limit of 1500 mg/day for people over 50 and 1200 mg/day for those over 70. The average American adult consumes 4000 mg/day.

That's only if you don't have any kind of heart or kidney problems....if you have any kind of health problems, you should check with your physician. :wink: