Protein After Workout

How much protein should you have post-workout? Does it matter if you get the protein from liquid (chocolate milk, gatorade refuel, or protein shakes) or from food (bars, meat, etc)?

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Opinions on this vary, but here is what I do. I cup low fat chocolate milk mixed with 1 20g scoop of whey protean powder.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 322 Member
    Im not sure about how much protein but i personally dont like protein shakes I use nuts like almonds and walnuts for my post-*workout* protein regimine
  • nowimfit
    nowimfit Posts: 3
    I am interested to know this too for use after my personal training sessions. I am currently using the Pea Protein Isolate by Tony Sfeir. Nutritional info is:

Pea Protein
    Nutritional Information Per Serve 30g Per 100g
    Energy 488Kj (117 cals) 1626Kj (389 cals)
    Protein 27g 90g
    Total Fat 0.5g 1.5g
    Saturated Fat 0g 0.2g
    Carbohydrates - total 0.7g 2.4g
    Sugars 0g 0g
    Fibre - total 0.7g 2.3g
    Sodium 500mg 1700mg

Features and Benefits:

100% natural and pure vegan/vegetarian protein powder
    Highly digestible (98%) and bio-available substitute for protein rich foods including meat, fish, chicken and eggs
    High Alkalinity Level (ph 7.5) – the only known alkalizing protein powder on the market today Contains a balanced and complete amino acid profile
    A quick and ideal nutritious complement for today’s busy men women, children, athletes and the elderly
    Low Allergy
    Low Salycilate Protein
    Naturally free from wheat, gluten, lactose, soy, egg and animal products
    Helps to satisfy hunger cravings
    No unpleasant artificial aftertaste
    Enjoy unlimited flavour options
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Supposedly, whey is supposed to be more readily used for workout recovery...

As for how much--I have no idea. I usually have a big fat protein shake after a workout (with 50 ish g of protein).
  • nowimfit
    nowimfit Posts: 3
    Thanks for info in whey, my trainer recommended that too. Can anyone suggest a good brand of powder shake?
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    go with body fortress super advanced whey mix, it has pure whey as well as creatine/BCAAS which really help recovery and promote lean muscle growth. and it's extremely cheap, about $12 bucks for a tub that will last you at least a month or two.. you can find it at your local Walmart or online:)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Body Fortress is my brand too! I love it! You can get a coupon on their website too. :)
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    From what I've read, nutrient timing doesn't really matter since your body is looking for them all the time (and up to 24 hours after a workout).

I drink whey in the morning for breakfast because its a quick easy way to make sure I hit my protein goals for the day (and since I don't have time to cook up a bunch of eggs in the morning). Real food is always better than a supplement because of all the extra nutrients you will get from real food, but if you don't have time or if you don't have access or if you just like the powder better, roll with that. It's kind of a personal choice on that side of things.

As for a good brand, I've been using Optimum Nutrition for the past year or so and it's delicious (at least the extreme milk chocolate is) and it mixes really well. A 5lb tub at the supplement store will run you around $50, but it lasts me 3 months so that's not too bad in my opinion. Just make sure whatever kind you get, get a blender or simply grab one of the shaker cups to mix it, a spoon just doesn't cut it.