How do you "know" the right running shoes?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I went to a running store and got fitted. I am running in Nike Zoom Structures and really like them. However, I bought a second pair and they don't fit quite as well. So, I started looking for other shoes. I need stability shoes and frankly, I wanted something prettier LOL. Yeah, I know it doesn't matter...except it kind of does.

I ordered a pair of Brooks Pure Cadence and Saucony ProGrid Mirage 2. Both marked as 'performance stability'. Basically supportive shoes that are lighter than the Nikes (my Nike's feel good but are quite heavy). I tried them on when they arrived and they both felt OK. The PureCadence feel weird, but not a bad weird, just different. Tonight, I ran with both of them on the treadmill. Around half a mile in each pair. Both felt pretty good while running. Now though, a few hours later, my calves feel kind of tight and my shins are ever so slightly achy. Now, I don't normally run two days in a row (it usually leads to shin pain for me) and I did run last night. So not sure if it was the shoes or not. My first pair of running shoes (that I just randomly picked) were fairly painful right from the start. Neither of these pair are.

I bought them from Road Runner Sports, so I can return them within 90 days. But I guess I just don't know how to tell if a shoe feels right to me without running a few miles in them. How can YOU tell? Any tips? When I got fitted for my Nike's, there were two other pairs I liked - a pair of Brooks and a pair of Saucony (though I don't remember which models). I couldn't decide between the three, so I picked the prettiest pair LOL.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    Options
    Bump
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are a hugely individual choice and TO SOME EXTENT it is a case of trial and error.

Well done for getting properly fitted. What did this gait analysis involve? Did you run a a treadie and got filmed? Do you usually run on a treadmill? The only reason I'm asking is because many people run differently outside than on a treadmill and that can make quite a difference.

Also do you heel strike or land on your mid or forefoot? Pronation isn't exclusive to heel strikers and there are different types of pronation, for example forfoot pronation / rear foot pronation etc.

Other factors to take into consideration, other than gait / pronation / supination etc, is the mileage to want to do in them. There are high-mileage training shoes, which should be good for 400-500 miles in a pair. Then there are much lighter build "racing" shoes... people who race a lot often have two pairs, one for racing one for training.

Another factor is the surface you usually run on. I gave up on concrete and I now run primarily on trails, so that requires a different shoe.

The lacing can make a differece. Asics for example... I love Asics and usually get on very well with them as they have a narrow toe box and I have slim feet. But one year they decided to give all the new releases asymetric lacing systems and I hated them. Now they've gone back to standard lacing on most of their models.

When I find a shoe that's just perfect, then colour doesn't matter.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I wasn't running on a treadmill for the gait analysis. Basically, I took my old shoes in, told them the issues I was having and that I have flat feet, and they picked a few pair out for me to try. Then they looked at how I ran in them on a short track in the store (really short LOL). I tend to overpronate but I have a really good mid-foot strike due to my short, choppy stride LOL. I normally run on asphalt outdoors. I was running on a treadmill last night to test the shoes without wearing them outside. The distance I want them to go is far less important to me - I'll buy new shoes sooner if the shoes are great. I probably run 9.5 to 12 miles a week but also wear them for occasional walking and cycling.

The Brooks have the asymetrical lacing - I had never seen that before LOL.

I was surprised I ended up with Nike's the first time. They are normally too narrow for me, but the Zoom Structure has a really wide fit.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    I have a pair of the Saucony Progrid Mirage and they are my favorite pair for under 13 miles. For anything more than that I go with Brookes because of their stability.

I agree that it is a bit of trial and error. Some people swear by Asics but I bought a couple of pairs and started to have knee pain, which stopped as soon as I went back to my Brookes. I also thought I would try the new Newtons since I am a sucker for hype and the latest craze. After trying to like them for 70+ miles I decided they were a no- go for me.

When you find one you like buy a couple of pairs and rotate them so you get more wear out of them. Because the manufacturers end up making changes to your favorite shoe all the time, then you've got to start all over again. I keep my local running store in business ;-)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The pain you felt was probably from the Pure shoe. They have a lot less cushion and a lower heel/toe drop than any of the other shoes you have worn. They would take some getting used to.

As for finding the right pair, you are going about it the right way. When you find the right shoe, you will just know. When you run, you won't be thinking about the shoes and how they feel on your feet. They will become an extension of your run. When you DO find this shoe, buy as many pair as you can reasonably afford and have room to store, because they WILL change it. I ran in Mizuno Wave Rider 11's for a long time (6 pair). Then the 12's came out, hated them. Bought a pair of 13's. Loved them, better than any other shoe I have run in. I went through 10 pair before I couldn't find them anymore. I bought 4 pair at once so that I would have them for a while. Now, I'm back to trying to find THEE shoe, just like you are. I have 3 pair that I am test driving and I keep comparing them to the Wave Rider 13's and they just don't stack up. The Brooks Launch is the best of the 3, but it's still not the perfect shoe. It's a journey.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Agree with Carson that even if you find the perfect shoe, they do a new release of the same model and something is just not right....

I had worn Asics Kayanos for years and one release was completely different. They had completely changed the heel. Hate it when they do that. I've done the same of buying 3 pairs when a shoe is perfect. :bigsmile:
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You'll just know lol. I had such a problem finding something that felt comfy after a cpl days of wearing them. I found love with Mizuno. go to their website and they have a detailed test to find out which of their shoes is right for you. I bought wave rider 8s which they recommended and haven't regretted them not one bit. Love them- made for my feet! (nearly flat turning slightly inwards)
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    You'll just know lol. I had such a problem finding something that felt comfy after a cpl days of wearing them. I found love with Mizuno. go to their website and they have a detailed test to find out which of their shoes is right for you. I bought wave rider 8s which they recommended and haven't regretted them not one bit. Love them- made for my feet! (nearly flat turning slightly inwards)

The Mizunos I have tried were all too narrow. Darn wide feet LOL.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options

And that just shows that all rules are there to be broken. As a flat footed overpronator, most running shops would propose you wear a stability shoe, yet you get on well with the M Wave Riders, despite the fact that they're technically neutral.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have a road runner sports near me and as I change I have new analysis I also have at least 3 pairs at a time and surprissingly different brands and types ie regular and support and for me it is about feel and comfort Road runner is great with the 90 days I had one pair of their insets and 1 pair of shoes I returned at different times and never any comment but a thank you for being a customer
    but i repeat as my weight changes so does my feet width etc so I keep checking stride because beleive me you run differently at 300 pounds than at 250 or 225 etc
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I have a road runner sports near me and as I change I have new analysis I also have at least 3 pairs at a time and surprissingly different brands and types ie regular and support and for me it is about feel and comfort Road runner is great with the 90 days I had one pair of their insets and 1 pair of shoes I returned at different times and never any comment but a thank you for being a customer
    but i repeat as my weight changes so does my feet width etc so I keep checking stride because beleive me you run differently at 300 pounds than at 250 or 225 etc

Yes, they are super nice at Road Runner. I don't have one near me, but have returned things via mail before and they were SO nice when I called. That's surprisingly hard to find these days. So maybe I should just take them both on a training run and see what happens LOL.

I do agree too about the weight changes. My feet have gotten about 3/4 of a size smaller. They're still wide, but less wide and I'm finding more and more regular width shoes that are wide enough. I was fitted just 3 months ago, but maybe I should do it again and see if anything has changed. I do run better now so who knows.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...I bought wave rider 8s which they recommended and haven't regretted them not one bit. Love them- made for my feet! (nearly flat turning slightly inwards)

Are you sure they are the Wave Rider? They are up to version 15 right now. I started running in the 11's about 5 years ago. The 8's would have been out like 10 years ago. The Inspire and the Nirvana are both version 8 right now.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    still in the trail and error phase here
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    even when i have been professionally fitted, sometimes the shoes take geting used to, especially if there is an insert or something correcting an imbalance. Remember, our bodies really do compensate for our weaknesses and when you go and try to correct it, sometimes our bodies can throw a hissy fit.

On a side note, I normally switch my shoe assignment about 2 - 3 x a year just do to changes in my muscle usage, etc. We are moving targets.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Sauconys. I tried some New Balance and some Adidas, but they just didn't fit right. Even for a novice runner like myself. I swear it's my shoes that has allowed me to progress as well as I have this past month!!
  • xoKatie0x
    xoKatie0x Posts: 7
    Options
    Shoes are going to be different for each people. I always have to remind my customers that. Well certain ones work for one person they will not work for you. It may take time for you to find your most perfect pair. I usually recommend customers who do not know try on multiple brands to see what they like. If a shoe feel weird to you chances are it always will. Breaking in a shoe just means that the insole gets you foot shape which usually take wearing them for several hours over a few days. That weird feeling from the one pair may be linked to the soreness. I usually recommend runners to asics, mizunos, and brooks. I have several from adidas, nike, reebok, and saucony that I recommend as well. It all comes down to what feels right. Places that sell sport sneakers will usually accept the return if you say that they caused you pain or discomfort, but check your stores policy.
    be careful when it comes to nike running shoes some of there shoes labeled as runners are just to look pretty but I do love the zoom structures for runners.
    Keep trying shoes and if possible get multis of the ones you like because the perfect shoe is hard to come by and you will always compare any others to it.

also to keep shoes in good condition alternate what sneakers you use every day to give the shoes 24 hours to reshape
  • KM11102011
    KM11102011 Posts: 41
    Options
    bump
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i went to a running store. I have saucony pro grid 4 i think.