Vegetarian Friend

Options

Replies

• bizarre_starr
    bizarre_starr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello there everyone! Not sure if people are checking this thing any more, but I'm a vegan so feel free to add me! I'm relatively new to the site too (just started in the last month) and I'd love to meet and greet too! I was vegetartian for a number of years and then just 5 months ago or so I went full vegan. I told myself I wasn't going to go 'all crazy all the way' because it seemed daunting...but I did it anyway. :smile: Anyway, I've never felt better!!! It's been fun learning all sorts of new stuff to make - it's actually really opened up my culinary skills and the usage of my spice rack. I bought a dehydrator to experiment with...as well as starting to make my own nut butters, bread, hummus, treats...etc etc etc. Although if you friend me and look at my food diary, it wouldn't seem so. I'm pretty boring with how I eat right now because I'm trying to drop 10-15 lbs while at the same time training for my first half marathon and biking to work every day. I'm really big into all natural, but between work and exercise training the lack of time is causing me to pretty much eat a semi-raw, bland(-ish) diet since I kind of grab and go with the veggies and fruit and such...although I kind of like the flavors and experience eating this way. I'm really getting into fermented foods in a big way too (naturally fermented like kombucha, organic sauerkraut, kimchi...etc that have probiotics through the process). And as a last side comment, an FYI for any of you fussy eaters out there, before going vegan I had a lot of intestinal issues - thinking it was lactose related I moved into veganland - but have still had problems. Dumped gluten from my diet and things are getting better...but any added sugar (not usually the naturally occuring stuff in fruit, etc) also makes me sick. So...it's possible to be vegan, gluten-free, and purging most added sugars. Very doable, even with a busy life. Although I have to say, I'm still testing to find out if there is any sweetener that I can use to kill the craving once and awhile. Haven't found anything yet that doesn't make me want to rip out my insides.....yum, right?

Well now that you all have TMI about my life, nice to meet you! Feel free to add if I'm not too crazy sounding!

My ex is vegan with loads of allergies too, including gluten. She hated cooking too, so it was always me doing it. I found it a little challenging at first but really got into it! It helped that my mum has a loads of allergies too so I had some knowledge of how to cook for her.

As for sweetener have you tried xylitol?

Nice to meet you by the way! Feel free to add me too :-)
  • jenzsd
    jenzsd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm pretty new to this site - I signed up awhile ago, but only just started utilizing it a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it! It's so helpful and motivational. I have two friends on here right now - my mom and a local friend, but I would love to add more people for support and to be supportive of them in return. It would be really great to add friends with like-diets/lifestyles as my own for that extra support and recipe ideas!

So feel free to add me, I'm on here often and log in from my phone a lot throughout the day. :)
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here, too. I have looked at going vegan, but I am concerned about getting enough protein, especially since I've reached my goal weight and I am now entering the next phase of my journey, which is to build some muscle. I did, however, just order The 30 Day Vegan Challenge and a couple of vegan cookbooks, and plan to eat vegan as much as possible. Any of you are welcome to add me as a friend. I am always looking for tips and tricks, as well as support. :-)
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    I've been on here for a few weeks/maybe a couple months, and I've been a vegetarian for over a year:) Lately I've become more of a pescatarian but I'm trying to get back into straight up vegetarianism. Good luck with going vegan, I could never do it.

Thank you! Why don't you think you could go vegan? I tried it a couple of times, and while it was really difficult, I think it was because I wasn't well versed or prepared to do it properly, but there is so much information on the internet and my boyfriend was a vegan for quite awhile, so I think he could help me out if I tried it again. Do you have any friends that are vegan?
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I was for a while and learned a lot of cool tips for great tasting, healthy recipes. I'd be happy to be your friend if you like.

That would be great! I sent you a friend request! Thanks :)
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    I have been vegetarian just about all of my life! I am not actually vegan, but I don't eat eggs or milk. I do eat things with those ingredients in them though, mainly because it is so hard to find enough foods to eat without those ingredients. My husband is not vegetarian, so we don't cook often because we each eat our own dinner. I eat a lot of Boca burgers, and Morningstar Farm products. Feel free it friend me if you'd like. I got bad about logging this week, but I am planning to get better. I'm pretty new to this site and just need to get in the habit of logging.

Aw, that's too bad that your husband isn't vegetarian. That would be difficult. Maybe you could make vegetarian meals, and then he could add meat as he pleased? All the vegetarian-friendly companies are great, but I think some of them are owned by non-vegetarian companies. :(

I don't often get on the MFP website, but I have a Droid, so I downloaded the app and log from there. It's so much more convenient because I have my phone with me everywhere I go, and can log before or after I eat. If you have a smart phone, I would definitely recommend the app!

Sending you a friend request! :)
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    I am still new to MFP...just two weeks and looking for vegetarian/vegan like minded folks. I haven't eaten animals/fish in 30 years. I tried going RAW...which is great but hard to do...I still eat a large potion of raw though...I like the raw way because it is eco...lots less packaging and organic. I don't drink cow's milk or cheese.

I have found this to be a great site and the extra support from MFP friends makes it fun to log in.

Having an awesome Veggie BBQ tomorrow!

Add me as a friend.

I also have a blog.

http://thesensualvegetable.blogspot.com/

I would really like to try going raw. It seems like it would be such a great way of living! I sent you a friend request, and will check our your blog too! Thanks a lot!
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    Hi and welcome! There are some vegetarian/vegan groups here on MFP. Feel free to join them and find other members with similar goals. Just go to the community tab and then groups and search on vegetarian.

Oh, I didn't even see that! Thanks so much! I'll definitely check it out!
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    I have been here nearly 2 years, but am vegetarian so thought I would reply!

Oh, wow! That's great! I sent you a friend request! :)
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    YES!!! Me too!!!!!! Vegetarians are sexxxy...and protein challenged hah (at least I am :sad: )

I was a strict vegan for a year, felt great. I also do not eat eggs or cow's milk-but will eat something if it's a "treat" and has it in it. I also try really hard not to eat cheese...mainly because it does a N U M B E R to my insides.

I've been a vegetarian for 13 years and battling my weight for all those years!!! womp. womp.

But we're all doing something about it being here, right?!

xoxo

Nice to meet you! That's awesome that you've been vegetarian for so long. When I was in high school I was fine, although, at the time, I still wanted to lose a lot of weight, lol, but since then I've gained a lot of weight, and I've been struggling with overeating and binge-ing. But I hope by being on this website, I will be able to learn a lot and keep myself accountable! Thanks for the add!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Although I have to say, I'm still testing to find out if there is any sweetener that I can use to kill the craving once and awhile. Haven't found anything yet that doesn't make me want to rip out my insides.....yum, right?...

Does stevia make you sick, too?
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    Hello I am a vegetarian (have been for 15 years now) and in the UK

Feel free to add me :)

That's great! I sent you a friend request! :D
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    I am a pescatarian as well !! :) Used to be veg, but I have a certain weakness for sushi, it does make me very sick for the treatment of some of the animals in the factory farms, not to mention everything that gets pumped into them :sick:

Wanting to stop eating fish as well !!! :smile: It's kind of hard :frown:

If that's you in your picture, can I just say that you look like a young JK Rowlings? I hope you take that as a compliment, because I grew up with the Harry Potter series, and I absolutely adore that woman!

Anyway, sushi is one of my weaknesses too! It's hard to stay away from the eel and avocado! :/
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello there everyone! Not sure if people are checking this thing any more, but I'm a vegan so feel free to add me! I'm relatively new to the site too (just started in the last month) and I'd love to meet and greet too! I was vegetartian for a number of years and then just 5 months ago or so I went full vegan. I told myself I wasn't going to go 'all crazy all the way' because it seemed daunting...but I did it anyway. :smile: Anyway, I've never felt better!!! It's been fun learning all sorts of new stuff to make - it's actually really opened up my culinary skills and the usage of my spice rack. I bought a dehydrator to experiment with...as well as starting to make my own nut butters, bread, hummus, treats...etc etc etc. Although if you friend me and look at my food diary, it wouldn't seem so. I'm pretty boring with how I eat right now because I'm trying to drop 10-15 lbs while at the same time training for my first half marathon and biking to work every day. I'm really big into all natural, but between work and exercise training the lack of time is causing me to pretty much eat a semi-raw, bland(-ish) diet since I kind of grab and go with the veggies and fruit and such...although I kind of like the flavors and experience eating this way. I'm really getting into fermented foods in a big way too (naturally fermented like kombucha, organic sauerkraut, kimchi...etc that have probiotics through the process). And as a last side comment, an FYI for any of you fussy eaters out there, before going vegan I had a lot of intestinal issues - thinking it was lactose related I moved into veganland - but have still had problems. Dumped gluten from my diet and things are getting better...but any added sugar (not usually the naturally occuring stuff in fruit, etc) also makes me sick. So...it's possible to be vegan, gluten-free, and purging most added sugars. Very doable, even with a busy life. Although I have to say, I'm still testing to find out if there is any sweetener that I can use to kill the craving once and awhile. Haven't found anything yet that doesn't make me want to rip out my insides.....yum, right?

Well now that you all have TMI about my life, nice to meet you! Feel free to add if I'm not too crazy sounding!

My ex is vegan with loads of allergies too, including gluten. She hated cooking too, so it was always me doing it. I found it a little challenging at first but really got into it! It helped that my mum has a loads of allergies too so I had some knowledge of how to cook for her.

As for sweetener have you tried xylitol?

Nice to meet you by the way! Feel free to add me too :-)

Im allergic to pretty much everything...it's easier to tell you what Im NOT allergic to...not vegan/vegetarian but I eat pretty healthy. Might have to ask you about some recipies as I love to cook too!
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    hey, welcome, i'm still fairly new here too. practically vegan but i still eat some fish (and very little dairy) ..also hoping to become fully vegan in the future :)

Thank you! I've heard of some people being pesca-vegan, which is kind of strange, but it's probably healthier than being vegetarian. It would be for me, anyway. Pretty much all of my bad food cravings are dairy products (ice cream, fettuccine alfredo, and cheese). So that's what I've been thinking about doing first, and then eventually cutting out the seafood.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I've been here 3 months, and am vegetarian. Feel free to add.
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    It appears I am becoming a pescaterian. Never heard of that word before.

Haha, yeah. Some people tend to not think that fish is a meat, so they eat it and consider themselves vegetarian, but really they are pescatarian, because fish are living beings that are killed for food. That's how I look at it anyway. It's sad, but at this point in my life, I need the seafood for protein, and hopefully I can find a way to get all of the right nutrition without using any animal products!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be the opposite and say I am not currently vegetarian, but I was for 8yrs and my best friend still is. I still eat TONS of veggies and know some wonderful recipies. I actually learned quite a few vegan recipies when my sister went vegan and when I dated a vegan for a long time. I still do cook a ton of vegetarian recipies and then add my protein so although I'm not primarily veggie, if you'd like someone whose "been there" you're welcome to add me :)

Ps: I see the pescatarian mention, and I was technically an ovo-lacto-pescatarian lol
    Not a huge milk fan, but I relied heavily on dairy, eggs and seafood. Eggs were limited though since the idea of liquid chicken fetus (eggs) grossed me out
  • reynoldsaram
    Options

Haha, not too crazy at all! Nice to meet you! I sent you a friend request. :)

Vegan cooking does seem like it would be a whole new adventure - which kind of makes me nervous and excited at the same time. I'm not much of a cook as is, so that's where the anxiety comes from. My best friend is vegan, though, and it seems like she has so much fun trying new things. I'm going to Washington state in a couple of days to visit with some friends, one of them being vegan, so maybe he can teach me some things while I'm there. We'll be having "family meals" so I think it would be great if I could be vegan during the entire trip!

I'd really like to start making everything by scratch, like you've been doing with breads, and such. I think everything just feels so much more healthy that way. You know, eating whole foods, and you know everything that's in it. There's no weird dyes or preservatives in it. Just REAL FOOD.

I'm interested in trying fermented food too! I know it's really popular in other countries, but it kind of worries me, lol, but it I guess that's just because it's not something you see or hear about in the U.S. too often. We do eat fermented food, but it's not thought of as fermented, I guess is what I mean.
  • reynoldsaram
    Options
    Hi! I've been here for about a month and have had great success so far. I'm vegetarian (was vegan for the past year and a half), and would love some new veggie friends! Please feel free to add me. :)

Nice to meet you! I sent you a friend request! :)