Water makes me sick :-/

Options

Replies

• wazzuteacher
    wazzuteacher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I had the same problem. I now get some of the sugar free flavored powder packets from Wally World. (Great Value) kind. My favorite one is Energy Peach Mango. You get 10 packets for around $1.54. I had to trial and error a few for the one I liked. I usually pour a half of the tiny pack into my 24 ounce water bottle and I find that I down it way faster then I did with just drinking water by itself. I treat myself to a diet pepsi on my cheat day. :-) Hope this helps.
  • debbiedoo1986
    debbiedoo1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    crystal light is really good..especially the fruit punch ones!! they taste just like fruit punch and its ok to drink!! my mom and i usually have the 23.7 fl oz water bottles and get the "to go" crystal light pouches and its for that size and everything!! also, try vitamin water if you havent, thats decently good too!! also try to not to drink soda..even if its diet!! a little bit once a week maybe if you really want soda, but the carbonation is notttt good for you at all !!! if you like flat soda, thats a good try too lol
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    i found i couldnt drink a full 64 oz until i started exercising more and my body actually needed it.

I work out but mostly low impact stuff...I sweat a ton though, no matter what I do, its 80+ degrees in my house. If I do anything intense in the heat I will likely pass out...I am very sensitive to heat and my body has a hard time regulating when I am working out. I decided after the third day in a row of passing out to keep it low impact this summer lol.

Not to be a total smart *kitten*, but you are probably sensitive to heat because you haven't been drinking water.
    All my ideas have pretty much been taken, so I won't be redundant. I've never really heard of anyone feeling sick from water. Not sure if there could be a medical reason for that? Might want to mention it to your doc and see if s/he has any suggestions.

Good luck to you!
    Jen
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to drink more water. I have been trying for a while.
    I find when I am forcing myself to drink more water (like today with 40 ounces) I get a little sick to my stomach while I am doing it, and I gag. Has anyone else had this issue? It doesnt matter if its cold or warm, when I force it, I dont feel well.

Pretty simple answer... don't force it.

Lot's of people on this site who aren't used to drinking water find it difficult. But there are many ways to make it easier. It's not necessary to drink water to be hydrated, but there are advantages to water over most other beverages -- especially the high calorie, low nutrition drinks than many of the people with this issue have been drinking. I've collected suggestions and information about water and hydration at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761

Good luck!
  • mommamindi
    mommamindi Posts: 273
    Options
    Try the mio and like other users said the crystal light or things similar to this.
    Do you drink when you eat? Sometimes lots of water on an empty stomach can even make me feel icky and I love water.
    Also try to consume more water-rich fruits, to help you get more in your system.

I do drink a glass while I eat. I find it goes down much easier. I love things high in water like Lettuce or celery.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I saw you said pepsi max is your addiction- can you stomach drinking that?

To me it sounds like a mental psychosomatic issue, there's no reason I can think of that you would reject water but be able to drink other liquids. If you can drink pepsi max, drink that for the time being. Don't restrict your only fluid intake. Just keep trying with the water. If you don't see improvement, you might want to check with a doctor to make sure you don't have some Dr. House medical mystery thing going on, and possibly talk to a therapist about behavioral therapy to get past themental block, if that's it.

Another thing to look at would be increasing fluid from food sources, too. Watermelon, lettuce, soups as well of tons of other water-rich foods might help you out.

I eat a ton of soup. I love soup!!! Even in the heat. I like celery and lettuce...I am not a big melon fan, but I like citrus like oranges or lemons. I can stomach the pepsi max, but I limit myself to one a day because of the massive migraines I get when I intake a lot then wean off of it.
  • alexandra7217
    Options
    I've had this too! I had 3 litres a day (recommended is 2 -3) and I ended up vomitting in my mouth every time I moved, I also had to pee every five minutes! I think what you need to do is force yourself and take it slow. Have say, one-two glasses and then gradually move up during the week to eight glasses. It is all about forcing yourself in a way, if you really do hate it. Just take it slow and eventually your body will get use to your intake of water. P.s. Remember soda's are full of sugar so be careful!
  • mommamindi
    Options
    i found i couldnt drink a full 64 oz until i started exercising more and my body actually needed it.

I work out but mostly low impact stuff...I sweat a ton though, no matter what I do, its 80+ degrees in my house. If I do anything intense in the heat I will likely pass out...I am very sensitive to heat and my body has a hard time regulating when I am working out. I decided after the third day in a row of passing out to keep it low impact this summer lol.

Not to be a total smart *kitten*, but you are probably sensitive to heat because you haven't been drinking water.
    All my ideas have pretty much been taken, so I won't be redundant. I've never really heard of anyone feeling sick from water. Not sure if there could be a medical reason for that? Might want to mention it to your doc and see if s/he has any suggestions.

Good luck to you!
    Jen

Haha thanks. My body has always had an issue regulating temperature especially in the extremes. I've had heat "sickness" as I call it a few times to the degree of going to the ER but every time I go they tell my I am not dehydrated, and that my body just got too hot. Usually I am fine, unless I get super cold like I did when I lived in Wisconsin, or I get too hot like I do here this summer.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I am really trying to drink more water. I have been trying for a while.
    I find when I am forcing myself to drink more water (like today with 40 ounces) I get a little sick to my stomach while I am doing it, and I gag. Has anyone else had this issue? It doesnt matter if its cold or warm, when I force it, I dont feel well.

Pretty simple answer... don't force it.

Lot's of people on this site who aren't used to drinking water find it difficult. But there are many ways to make it easier. It's not necessary to drink water to be hydrated, but there are advantages to water over most other beverages -- especially the high calorie, low nutrition drinks than many of the people with this issue have been drinking. I've collected suggestions and information about water and hydration at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761

Good luck!

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OK the temperature regulation thing plus the water issue- you are getting in to medical mystery territory!

Do you sweat? I don't know what its called but is it possible that you have the medical condition that you don't sweat?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Eat crushed ice. I did that for years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Don't force it, just try sipping it on all day. I keep a cup of ice water with a straw next to me all day and drink drink drink! I re-fill as soon as it gets empty. I don't leave the house without it. Small sips and small goals and I bet you'll be drinking more water soon! If you want more flavor in it, add a few slices of lemon or cucumber, or a few drops of Mio or some Crystal light or something.

ETA: Also, maybe add some ginger root to your water, that might make it easier on your stomach and/or a mix a little Gatorade into your water (or the lighter G2 Gatorade, or the Gatorade powder). When I'm sick to my stomach I can drink Gatorade even when water doesn't go down easy.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    OK the temperature regulation thing plus the water issue- you are getting in to medical mystery territory!

Do you sweat? I don't know what its called but is it possible that you have the medical condition that you don't sweat?

No, I sweat a ton. Lol. I brought the water issue up to the Dr once at the beginning of the year when I first started MFP and she basically told me I wasnt dehydrated and that as long as I peed X times a day I was fine and my body had fluids. I dont know if its an aversion or what. I used to drink water all the time. I grew up not being allowed soda or juice, so we drank water. It seems the last few years I just cant stomach water.
  • mommamindi
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I used to do that when I was pregnant. When measuring crushed ice do you weigh it out on a scale?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I used to do that when I was pregnant. When measuring crushed ice do you weigh it out on a scale?
    Nope, just eat it. You can't really eat too much.

IDEA Fitness member
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how (a) people don't like water and (b) how it makes them sick.
    I guess I'm just weird with it being my beverage of choice... always has been, always will be.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    can you drink a few ounces every hour? Just take sips throughout the day. That way it doesn't feel like you're drinking a ton of water. A little at a time can add up.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    Don't force it, just try sipping it on all day. I keep a cup of ice water with a straw next to me all day and drink drink drink! I re-fill as soon as it gets empty. I don't leave the house without it. Small sips and small goals and I bet you'll be drinking more water soon! If you want more flavor in it, add a few slices of lemon or cucumber, or a few drops of Mio or some Crystal light or something.

ETA: Also, maybe add some ginger root to your water, that might make it easier on your stomach and/or a mix a little Gatorade into your water (or the lighter G2 Gatorade, or the Gatorade powder). When I'm sick to my stomach I can drink Gatorade even when water doesn't go down easy.

Thanks :-) I will try this. I find that if I have a bottle with me in the car with the sun beating down on me I drink way more. Maybe thats the key...sit in the car all day ;) lol
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    Do you have gastroparesis? Because I do, and water makes me nauseas as well. You might want to check with your doctor about that.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I don't understand how (a) people don't like water and (b) how it makes them sick.
    I guess I'm just weird with it being my beverage of choice... always has been, always will be.

Like I said before...I grew up on only water. I dont not like water. I love it actually, it just makes me sick to my stomach now that I am pushing to get a certain number of ounces a day.