Logging exercise

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
I've seen a lot of people putting things like house cleaning, or food preperation etc in their exercise logs. Are these things not part of the daily activity level in general? I mean these would be routine things one would do, correct? or should I be putting these activities in? I log stuff like yard work because it isn't routine meaning I don't do it on a daily basis or even semi regular basis I do it like once every week-two weeks depending on the weather. Just trying to get a feel for MFP since I'm new.

Replies

• MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the exercise logging part as well and have thought about that too. For me though, I don't add in everyday stuff like household chores, making the bed, playing or chasing the toddler and such. I know we burn calories with those activities too but since their activities I do everyday, I don't really see them as burning calories for my weight loss.
    I just add in the crunches, pushups, etc in my exercise logins because those activities I have to make myself do them lol.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Just do whatever you're comfortable with - I never add anything that isn't strictly 'exercise'

Even though I have to clean our business premises (which takes hours) and includes vacuuming + mopping hundreds of square feet of floor.

Plus polishing an entire wall of mirrors. ugh.

I would never add it - because I'm not comfortable doing that - but I wouldn't blame someone else for logging that kind of thing.
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't log normal housecleaning or cooking, but I do log things that are out of the ordinary. For instance, last week I was doing some really heavy work in my garage for a few hours. I ended up logging it has an hour of light housecleaning, even though it was more like 3 hours of major cleaning, breaking boxes down, lifting an moving heavy boxes.
    Same with cooking. Everyday dinners I don't log, but the other day I was making some major stuff for a friend that required major kneading and several hours in the kitchen, so I logged it as 1 hour of cooking.
    I think most people will be disappointed in their weight loss if they log every little thing just so they can eat more.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It depends what activity level you have chosen - if you are set at sedentary, at doesn't include much. If you at set at lighltly active or higher, those things are likely already accounted for.
    There is no right or wrong here, just try it one way for a month and then change things around if you need to.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'll stick to just the exercise I get in not the normal routine stuff unless it's extra ordinary I'll think about it.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had the same question and asked those on my friends list their opinion. It was mixed feelings. I personally do not log it. I can admit, my first week here I did log it a time or two because I was unsure. I have a two year old toddler who is extremely active, and I am OCD when it comes to cleaning. WOW....I could only imagine the caloric defecit I would end my day with!
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't count the everyday picking up that I do, I usually add heavy cleaning when I deep clean a room, (cleaning out closets, moving stuff so I can vaccum around furniture, scrubbing tubs/toilets etc), I add usually moderate cleaning if I do SEVERAL loads of laundry on the same day, since I am hauling stuff up and down the stairs several times (and the youngest is usually in the basket as well, so they aren't light loads,lol), and light cleaning on the days when I go around and and do things like dust the house (since I am short so I am usually climbing up and down on furniture). Other than that the normal picking up after the hubby/kids vaccuming, etc I don't log. And I tend to under log the time so I am sure that I am not over estimating calories burned.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    LOL it's like Groundhog Day on this forum. :laugh:
  • Redskins76
    Redskins76 Posts: 68
    Options
    I have logged different activities other than working out before. I pick and choose the exercise to log based on my level of intensity and movement. I think no matter what you log for your workout the scale will not lie at the end!
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Any activity that raises your heart rate and makes you perspire for 10 minutes or more would count. HOwever, in my experience, cooking and cleaning dont...unless you're working in a restaurant or spring cleaning.

I'd never log anything that didnt involve some activity that had me cursing during it and left me sweaty and out of breath afterwards... so sex probably counts then ;)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I only log things that raise my heart rate. I logged cleaning once just to see how much I burned (used HRM), but didn't actually count it in my head as exercise and I didn't eat those calories back. My levels are set to sedentary but cleaning is something I do on a regular basis, not extra work like running or weight lifting.