Monthly amount of weightloss? Is 5 lbsa month sustainable?

Options
I lost five pounds my first month on here and was wondering if it is possible to maintain that level of loss more or less every month from here on out until I reach my goal (33 more pounds) I know that the less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to make if come off your body. From here on out should I expect little losses of 1-2 lbs a month?

Also, when I entered my new weight on here (ok only 5 lbs different from my start), my calorie allowance did not change. Is that normal?

Replies

• LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    With a decent diet and regular exercise, you can lose up to 2lbs a week. A 500 kcal deficit a day from both exercise and calories consumed will see a 3500 calorie loss over seven days with should result in a drop of 1lb.

So, to expect 5lbs a month is a common sense approach.

It becomes harder (well, it doesn't but people use that as an excuse) for several reasons. One is that your body is extremely adaptive and will become more efficient at doing the same exercises, using less calories so mix it up and change what you do. Another is that when people start to see results they get complacent and decide to cruise. The third one is always put the effort in to your exercise, get your heart rate high and keep it there, the more effort you put in the better the results which goes hand in hand with the previous reasons, both together are the reason why people plateau if their diet is correct.

Seen it happen with so many people, if you want results, hit it and hit every session hard as though it is the first one and you'll keep progressing.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for that response - I guess you are right about the excuses part. In many cases it gets harder because people slack as you said. :)

You know what, I think 5 is pretty good considering I didn't exercise most of the month. I was naughty. I will do differently now though. Sometimes I go back and forth about how effective cardio is, and just decide to skip it. But it seems reasonable that I might have lost 7 or 8 lbs this past month instead of 5 if I had been exercising. I think maybe I exercised 4-5 days at the beginning of the month. LOL
  • LexyDB
    Options
    When you see results, that's when you should increase your efforts. Simple but effective rule.

If fat loss is your goal then reduce your carbohydrates, not to ridicuolusly low levels but ensure they are fewer than your protein and increase cardio work. If your protein is enough, then you'll minimise the muscle loss when you exercise and should burn fat (without a long, drawn out explaination as to why).

5lbs a month is realistic, I know people who train regularly, have got their maconutrients down to a fine art as they adjust their intake every week and manage to lose body fat and retain if not add muscle. Yes it can be done if you adjust weekly (again, not for this thread) but I don't think that is your goal.

Keep the protein high, don't go over your calories and expect 1lb a week and success will be yours. You're diet does have to be clean, keep that in mind or you will hit a brick wall with force!
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    According to something I read here yesterday MFP changes your goals when you lose 10lbs and then every 10lb thereafter - I haven't noticed it myself and I have lost 60lb but apparently it does.
  • LexyDB
    Options
    Mine has only changed once since I started! I adjust myself and it has worked up until now.

Congratulation on the 60lbs, that's very well done.