The last 10 pounds bootcamp "starvation mode"

Options
Sooo on The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp episode tonight, the woman was eating barely any food (some days just tea and coffee), and couldn't lose the weight because her body was in starvation mode. Tommy and Nadine upped her calories to 1300, and voila, she lost 7 pounds.

Replies

• kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    never works that way for me..if i lower my calories or start working out and nothing happens, if i go back i gain
  • Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that show! But a lot of the time it seems like the people on it probably gain it back after.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that show! But a lot of the time it seems like the people on it probably gain it back after.

I think the same thing. Tommy has to push them so hard to get them to do the work.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Couple of issues I see here.

In the course of my personal trainer certification, one thing they stress is the need to develop a plan that people can follow on their own and that they feel comfortable and excited about doing. Boot camp type activities are excellent for gaining strength and keeping fat off (or losing it), but if the people doing it are relying on their trainer to give them the exercises and food portions, and not giving them the tools they need to do it on their own, 90% of the time the person will fail when they leave that environment. It's the same with any program. It's why so many "diet plans" fail, because people stop doing the things they were doing and revert to old habits.

So what's the biggest thing to learn as we travel on this journey? IMHO it's developing a plan of action that you are satisfied with, and that will keep you where you are for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean a specific program, but more being able to develop a set of routines that you can keep doing for ever.

Also, as to changing your food amounts, types. Remember, the body doesn't like change, if you drastically change how much you are eating or exercising, the initial results are almost always going to be weight gain. Often, with food, this is because it takes the body weeks and sometimes months to adjust to new calorie amounts. With exercise, this is usually because upping your exercise amount, changing types, or adding a higher level of training to your routine encorporates more muscle fibers, muscle fibers need glycogen and water to be active, glycogen and water are both heavy liquids and can make you gain weight, this is ok, it's natural, and it should be expected (you can gain anywhere from 2 to 5 lbs this way in a matter of days).

dunno if this makes sense to you guys, but I hope so.
  • annaliza
    Options

So what's the biggest thing to learn as we travel on this journey? IMHO it's developing a plan of action that you are satisfied with, and that will keep you where you are for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean a specific program, but more being able to develop a set of routines that you can keep doing for ever.

Hmmm, this must be important....this is the second time I've seen you mention this in a matter of a few minutes (on different posts)....point taken :smile:

Also, as to changing your food amounts, types. Remember, the body doesn't like change, if you drastically change how much you are eating or exercising, the initial results are almost always going to be weight gain. Often, with food, this is because it takes the body weeks and sometimes months to adjust to new calorie amounts. With exercise, this is usually because upping your exercise amount, changing types, or adding a higher level of training to your routine encorporates more muscle fibers, muscle fibers need glycogen and water to be active, glycogen and water are both heavy liquids and can make you gain weight, this is ok, it's natural, and it should be expected (you can gain anywhere from 2 to 5 lbs this way in a matter of days).

Thanks for reminding me of that. This is exactly what I am struggling through right now so I need to remember this. I'm trying different things to break a plateau I'm on.

I have never seen the show but it sounds interesting. I agree with Banks, though...it seems more like a fad than an actual diet that one can stick to year after year.

What's sad is that people are going to see that show and believe that they too will lose a ton of weight eating nothing then try it and gain even more back.
  • mkwood10
    Options
    Just goes to remind all of us that you can't believe everything you see on tv!!!:laugh:
  • laurELECTRIC
    Options

I think the same thing. Tommy has to push them so hard to get them to do the work.

Totally.
    They all seem to only motivate themselves for the certain event they're getting ready.
    Like "Bulging Brides"?
    They don't seem to actually care.
    -Sigh-
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss for that explanation... I get so frustrated when the scale goes *up* and I've been doing everything right. I know this is a process and my body needs to adjust to it. I want this to be a lifestyle instead of a temporary thing. So I need to keep focusing on that and your post helps me do that.

:smile: