HRT (Tibolone) and weight gain - help please!

Options
Hi there fellow MFP’ers - I need your help - from the ladies please, unless any of you guys are medical doctors :smile:

I will be 48 in July and started going into menopause a couple of years ago :blushing: Recently the hot flushes and night sweats have been so bad that I saw my doctor about an alternative to HRT as I just wasn’t sleeping . He put me on Livial Tibolone (I am in the UK) which is a synthetic tablet that your body converts to hormones. At the time I asked him about weight gain and he said he hasn't had any reports of weight gain. Well, when I got home and read the pamphlet, one of the common side effects are weight gain and water retention! After just 4 days the hot flushes were almost gone (RESULT!) but I noticed water retention.

Guess what, after just a month I have already gained weight even though I am at the gym 3-4 times a week and eating a super healthy, clean, calorie controlled diet!!! I have come so far over the last 5 years, having lost around 80 pounds in total and I am terrified of going backwards. So now I am considering stopping the tablets and wanted to find out from some of you ladies who have gone through/going through menopause what you did to manage the night sweats etc. Do I give the tablets a bit more time to see if my body adapts?

PLEASE ladies, any advice will be most welcome :smile:

Replies

• loriboren1
    loriboren1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you still there? I was looking for info about just this thing and found your post, but with no responses. How are you going?
  • Cozzer1973
    Options
    Hi Minoesh,

I have been taking Tibolone since November last year. I am 40 and got put on it after being diagnosed with premature ovarian failure after surgery for severe endometriosis and suffering how sweats/insomnia. I've tried lots of types of HRT before this and had bad side effects and thought I'd finally found a pill that suited me. However, like you I have noticed weight gain despite going to the gym, water retention and I now keep getting bad Thrush/BV. I'm now on my second lot of antibiotics to clear it up and am very fed up! :-(

I have decided to come off it now and try a herbal/natural alternative. I would be interested to know if any other women have suffered BV from it? I never had this before taking Tibolone and have read it is another side effect of it.

Kind regards

Corrie