Accurate BMR

Options
With online calculators my bmr is anywhere from 2500-2700. I thought I would use my polar heart rate monitor to try and see how accurate the online calculator was. I've has it on for about 9 hrs and 45 min and I'm up to 1538 calories! Does this sound right? I'm 6 '1 3/4. And 300lbs.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, heart rate monitors aren't designed to be worn during regular activity to determine BMR. The formula they use to calculate calories is accurate only during steady-state cardio, when your heart rate is elevated. I'd take your reading so far with a big grain of salt.

If you want to invest some $$ into another device, the Bodybugg or Bodymedia Fit will give you a better estimation of what you burn during your day-to-day routine; they are meant to be worn all day (HRMs are only meant to be worn during exercise). Bodybuggs are on sale right now for $99, $79 with a special code, but I think the sale ends tomorrow. Details here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612937-bodybugg-on-sale-99-or-79-with-code

Good luck!
  • miminp
    miminp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks so much shannon. i will def check out the link