need help

Options
i don't know what is wrong with me? i'd been doing so good for months, and then in mid august, i started to eat like crazy. i stopped going to the gym as often, and even if i do go, it would never burn off the extra calories i ate. my breakfast, lunch, dinner and light snacks added up to about 1200 calories, which was perfect for me. but...after that i started going around the house for snack...i ate cheetos puff, white chocolate, crackers, nuts, etc etc. i ate a little bit of each, but i am sure that little bit added up to over 1000 calories. i don't know why i always do good for breakfast, lunch and dinner..but it's after dinner that mess me up. i know i can control it but it's so hard. i felt like i keep eating even though i'm full and my jaw just kept constantly munching on stuff, munching and munching until it hurts. what's wrong with me? i am so stress out and sad about my action and how i look now, but i don't know why i am not motivated enough to stop and restart. any advice or motivative talk would help. thanks for reading!

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Are you sure 1,200 calories is perfect for you? Because what you're doing sounds like what I used to do when I wasn't eating enough. I'd do fine throughout the day, but because I really wasn't eating as much as I should have, by the end of the day, it was like I was marathon eating or something. I know it's kind of scary to eat more on purpose when you maybe think you're already eating too much, but try letting MFP calculate what your food should be and then try sticking to that and see if it helps. Good luck, hungry bear!

Jill
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Gee, you sound just like me. I too think that you are not eating enough calories, good ones. Someone told me to up it 200 calories and I finally am doing great again. Give it a try and you will feel like getting back to the gym.
    And by the way, I stopped the gym and started bike riding and walking. I am 54, with ms, and diabetes. If I can do it, most can. Don't give up.:bigsmile:
  • kankan213
    Options
    These girls are right, sometimes when you don't eat enough throughout the day it can lead to binge-eating later on (usually night-time). I went through a terrible binge-eating cycle for about 6 months and ended up gaining 20 lbs. I highly suggest upping your calories slightly and trying to feel more in control. Once you get back on the wagon the feeling of control will help you to control other things. Try to go to sleep or do more productive things when the binge eating begins. I still do it sometimes but only once every other week or so and its around 2500 calories instead of 3500 lol.
  • Rebeccamur
    Options
    I think thats excellent advice. I'm currently in the same predicament. I was doing really well feeling great then over the last 2 weeks I've just fell into this vicious circle of over eating or mindless eating. Its so demotivating and lonely and shameful and it makes you feel like a failure after so much progress....I've been on 1300 calories but I think I'm gona up it to 1500, which is still a perfectly healthy amount and most definately if its maintained can cause consistent weightloss. Maybe not with results as quickly as I'd have liked but hopefully it will allow for those days where I might like to munch a little more! I've tried to pin point moments when Binge/obsessive eating sets in and the emotions that still go with it, I think no.1 its important to try and get help through counselling in some way. Weightloss and healthy eating should be a life change so we should not only be improving our physical but our mental states too. Just to let you know your not alone in these feelings. Best Of Luck
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I find I eat when I am not hungry if I am bored or feeling fidgety. I keep sugar free gum around for these occasions and instead of going around snacking I chew gum while watching a movie or reading a book.

Good Luck.