weight loss and birth control?

Options
my doctor wants to start me on a birth control pill to aide in regulating my cycle. i have endometriosis and she believes a low dosage will help with that. I've heard that a lot of women gain weight when put on birth control. Has anyone experienced a pill or dosage that didn't cause weight gain or hinder you from losing any more weight?

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    To ,my knowlegde [ told by doctors as well as much reading I've done]
    BC generally doesn't cause alot of weight gain, it may cause an initial gain of a few pounds when just starting on it, but not a continual gain once your body is used to it.

here's another thread on the same thing http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62440-birth-control-pill-and-weight-gain?hl=birth+control#posts-758621
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    HI! Everyone is different with BC but I found one that really works for me and for some reason helped me lose weight. I really do not know why but ever since I started it I have been losing weight. Yasmine is the BC I take. I went through the IUD(painful after a year and caused me so much weight gain) I did the Nuvera Ring(needless to say I had to keep shoving it back up in there) and then some other pills here and there until my friend suggested Yasmine. She said it helped her and her sister lose weight. Like I said everyone is different so you might have to do a trail and error. I hope this helped you out. :happy:
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    In the recent issue of Womens Health magazine it says that birth control may put 3 lbs on you in 3 years, but with a good diet and exercise you should not have a problem with weight gain. :smile:
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone is different. Personally, I gained about 10 lbs with in the first month - I was 18 when I married my husband, and I remember having my wedding dress seam adjusted due to the weight gain. After I had my daughter, I begged my doctor to put me on a BC that would not cause me to gain weight. So, I'd talk to your doctor and see what brands claim "no weight gain." The brand I used was "Aviane" and I didn't gain weight with it.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    There are also different types of birth control pills and some are more likely to make you gain weight than others. I would talk to your doctor about your concern. I'm she would be happy to help you find one that won't cause a major weight increase. I take Yasmen and I didn't gain any weight at all when I started taking it. It hasn't prevented me from losing any once I actually started trying. Good luck!!
  • Veronica_Taylor
    Options
    I have never had any trouble as far as gaining weight and not being able to lose it. I never worried about being fat or overweight at all. I liked my weight and size.

Then I got put on Implanon.

I opted for an implant because I was afraid I would forget a pill one day and ruin everything. I have gained SO MUCH WEIGHT. I think it made it worse that I ate just about whatever I wanted because I have never had to do it before. Well I am paying for it now. I can safely tell you to rule out Implanon if you are worried about gaining weight.

And as a side note: I have also heard that basicaly all the shots cause you to gain lots of weight too. But I have no personal experience in this.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    my doctor wants to start me on a birth control pill to aide in regulating my cycle. i have endometriosis and she believes a low dosage will help with that. I've heard that a lot of women gain weight when put on birth control. Has anyone experienced a pill or dosage that didn't cause weight gain or hinder you from losing any more weight?

Definitely do not go on Depo-Provera, I did gain a lof of weight on that. Depo keeps your estrogen levels low, so stay away from anything that does that. I have been on Nortrel (pill) for years and that has not stopped me from losing weight.