Birth Control

EKarma
EKarma Posts: 594 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey! Well, I've been on birth control for the last 3 years consecutively and I hate it! I'm more of a natural person and believe that the body should do it's thing naturally, but I don't wanna get prego! So I'm getting this thing, an IUD. It's the 10-year one with no hormones in it. I'm kind of excited, no hormones! YAY!

They say that the pill can make you heavier, retain water, and well, you girls know what they say.. I was wondering about the IUD though. Is it gonna be easier to lose weight? Is it going to make me fat? Am I gonna turn into a raving lunatic? Just wondering if anyone knew...

Replies

• I don't have an answer, but you reminded me of a Saturday Night Live commercial for Annuale (sp?). It's frickin hilarious. You should check it out. You culd probably find it on YouTube.
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,515 Member
    I went to the GYN to find out about the IUD. I haven't decided on it yet, because it's not covered by insurance and it costs about $500.

Let me know how it goes for you...
  • morand
    morand Posts: 6 Member
    I was on the Mirena (IUD) for 4 years and then my husband and I decided to have a baby. I loved it. I did not have a period the whole time I had the Mirena. I had my tubes tied after having my baby or I would have had the IUD again.
    I never had any trouble with it and I only had to pay my $25.00 copay, inurance picked up the rest:wink:
  • I have an appointment Wednesday to see about getting the same one because I am having the same problems. I have done a lot of research and a lot of my family members have had them and said they were great... With it not having hormones (from what I've gathered) if you are a "raving lunatic" while on it that's just your hormones not the IUD. You are supposed to not really even realize it is there with side effects besides the increase in cramps etc for the first few months.. We will see how it goes, I hope it stops me from keeping on/gaining weight like the pill has!! Hopefully it goes will with you too!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    I am on the pill also and hate the way it makes me feel all haywire. I did have a baby 15 months ago, but, I just can't deal with the pill anymore and don't want to end up prego either. My husband and I have talked about him getting "snipped" but, it's not a definite yet. I just can't stand it. If you do end up going with the IUD let us know how it works out. If the pill makes you retain water then this is probably the reason my feet and hands swell up on occasion. I really can't stand that feeling. Also, as of late, I have been spotting/bleeding here and there and I have been on this pill since after my daugher was born. Don't know - I just don't feel right with the hormones and I feel overly emotional sometimes and think it's because of this pill...
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    I'll keep you girls posted. Thanks for all the input. I'll be going in on Tuesday, so wish me luck! :tongue:
  • So u r going to get the one without hormones? I think that is the new copper one. The mirena has a very low amount of progesterone. I had gotten it some years ago and after trying and trying to lose weight with no success, I had it removed. They state that that is a possible side effect (weight gain). So far I have lost 18lbs since having it out. Go to the company's website to get more info on the one you are thinking about getting. It was nice not having a period to worry about but even though I don't contribute my weight gain to the mirena, I do feel that it made it hard for my body to lose the weight. The progesterone hormone basically makes your body think it's pregnant so that you don't ovulate anymore, or something to that effect.

hth,
    Demetria
This discussion has been closed.