no-scale dieting?

Options
I signed up a few weeks ago and am committed to healthier eating and living. I do want to lose weight! However, I haven't weighed myself and don't plan to monitior my pounds. I want to see results in the way I look and feel and how my clothes fit.

Does anyone else do this? Am I completely wrong-headed?

Maryanne

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    There is no reason why you have to use a scale. I would suggest at using a measuring tape and measure weekly or bi-weekly. It took me 2 months to drop a dress size and I think I would have been discouraged if that was the only thing I was looking at.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. Go for it.
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i haven't weighed myself in 3 months! if i feel better and know i'm eating right and exercising then i don't need to know my weight. i still know i have more weight to lose then there's no reason for me to get on the scale. i go more now by how my clothes are fitting. i've thought about gettin on it a few times when i see it in the bathroom but now i'm kinda scared to get on it. i have a problem with the scale cause if i get on it and lose weight i end up thinking oh i can go eat more now or i i get on the scale and don't lose weight i give up and binge. if it works for you then stay off the scale.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I know of people who do this and I would like to be one of them. Unfortunately I am addicted to the scale, which is rarely my friend. :cry: If you can do it, I say great, that is ideal. The focus should be on health, happiness, a long life... all the things that a healthy life can give you, instead of just on weight loss.
  • moondoxy
    Options
    thanks! a measuring tape is a good idea. congrats on being smoke-free!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no one "approved" way to do it. However, there is a National Weight Control Registry that tracks long-term successful weight loss outcomes. One of the common strategies for those for are successful at maintaining weight loss over several years' is active monitoring of weight.

From a review of registry data:

"A common personality trait in registry members is their personal vigilance regarding weight loss maintenance. Forty-four percent of registry members weigh themselves daily, while 31% weigh themselves at least once per week. Further investigation of this population reveals that “successful weight loss maintainers continue to act like recently successful weight losers for many years after their weight loss” (Wing and Phelan, 2005).

This was just one trait (maintaining an aggressive exercise program and consistent eating habits on weekends were two others), but I thought it worth mentioning. I understand some people might have valid scale-aversion issues and a more "intuitive" approach might work best for them.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not watching the scale so much anymore. More interested in measurements, bodyfat percentage and fitness. I'm realizing that my starting goal of 200 pounds may have been a little more extreme than I thought. With my current body I'd have to get to about 10% bodyfat to get there, and that's seriously lean.

Right now I'm eating tonsa protein, exercizing hard, building muscles and losing fat. I may not ever get to 200 pounds even, and I don't really care - if I can be a 212 pound beast that'll be cool too. :bigsmile:
  • annaliza
    Options
    I hate my scale *gives it the evil eye*

It's lying to me....I just know it! Probably laughing at me too.

I've lost all these inches and dress sizes but not any weight in the past month.

I guess your plan is a good plan since the scale and I are enemies.

Good luck to you!
  • Steinhaus4
    Options
    Im not using a scale either! Its way too addicting for me- I just want to look and feel healthy without the scale:smile: I just signed up here today- I've been reading the posts and see success for most of you! Im excited to use this site- thanks Nikki
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    I agree...it's FAR more important to focus on size, how you feel, health, strength, flexibility, etc....the scale takes way too much stress, and who needs it.

Cindy
  • moondoxy
    Options
    thanks for the support, everyone!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You don't need to use a scale as long as you have some reliable means of gauging your success. I need that motivation of seeing the numbers go down, but I only weigh myself every few weeks usually.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The scale is a pretty crude measure of health anyway. You really care about things like lean muscle mass vs. body fat -- which most scales aren't really going to tell you.

Besides, what really matters is what size you are. I've been the weight I am now before but I'm smaller because I'm fitter. I like that.

That said, I weigh myself every day. :laugh: But my scale does tell me my lean muscle mass, body fat percentage, etc. Plus, it's only one piece of data that I judge by.