Work Snackage

Options
Hey there! I work full-time and I HAVE to eat throughout the day or I'll go insane before my 1:45 lunch break (rough livin'). I usually bring a packet of oatmeal to make and eat, but I want to find some more nutritious snacks to fuel the day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My favorites at work are: hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, almonds, beef jerky, dry-roasted edamame, and apple with peanut butter.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If I start my day with a hard boiled egg, it keeps me full till noon.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    When I am working, off in the summer, I make a baggy of vegies. I also like to have a date or other dried fruit and some nuts. They are a little higher in calories but they are healthy.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    My musts to have around at work.....any kind of fruit, currently blueberries are my fav, light string cheese, hard boiled eggs, protein drinks, sugar snap peas ( so yummy!), cucumbers, oh, back to the fruits, frozen grapes are AWESOME!
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fruit, dry air popped popcorn, yogurt, protein powder and milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal, nuts, veggies, hummus, cheese, oatmeal, eggs.... The list is endless.

I pack a lunch and two snacks and eat pretty much all day at work.
  • haeffel2
    haeffel2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Mmm ya know, I've never tried hard boiled eggs (isn't that crazy?) so I may have to since everyone is raving about them:] but these are great! Thanks! Keep 'em coming if you have ideas:]
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I live for my snacks! Every day at 10 a.m., sharp, I eat an apple, pear, orange, 4 oz. of berries - whatever fresh fruit I have in the house. I bring an insulated lunch bag to work with my lunch and snacks. At 3 p.m., I have yogurt with berries (I make my own with plan greek yogurt, fresh berries, and a packet of Stevia) or a fat-free, sugar-free muffin. Today I have a rhubarb muffin for this afternoon! (I put the recipe in the database.) I try to mix it up a little, but I've found if I come to work prepared, I'm less likely to eat junk on the way home or when I get home.
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    Some may be repeats but here goes (I snack all day at work!):

Carrot sticks or sliced bell peppers w/ brown mustard or hummus dip
    apples
    cantaloupe or melon chunks
    my own trail mix of fiber one cereal, dark chocolate chips and almonds
    kale chips (if you have time to throw them in the oven in the am or cook the night before but DON'T PUT IN AIR TIGHT CONTAINER!)
    fruit cups (some are healthier than others)
    greek yogurt (or any yogurt!)
    whole wheat english muffins (we have a toaster, that helps)
    Cottage cheese (add lemon yogurt, fruit or a little bit of maple syrup and cinnamon)

Carrot sticks (baby carrots) with mustard are actually my biggest go-to food! They take awhile to eat so I keep munching. They are also healthy and low cal!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    cut up fruit, cut up veggies, baby carrots. I avoid anything that has empty nutrition (pretzels, animal crackers, etc...) My snacks need to fill me up. I eat about 1800 calories a day net, a work day would look like:

banana
    oat bran 1/3 cup
    5 packets of domino sugar (I think that equals a tbsp and a half or something)

apple
    possibly some baby carrots if I want to munch

lunch
    today it was homemade chicken fried rice (1.5 cups)
    yogurt
  • SassieChik03
    SassieChik03 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Some successful snacks I've had at the office:

String Cheese
    Yogurt
    Granola Bars
    Fruit
    Boiled Eggs (just the whites for me)
    Almonds
    Protein Shakes

I strongly advise portioning your snack size instead of taking everything in bulk. I found out, the hard way of course, that I could be completely addicted to almonds :)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm full-time too. I have breakfast at home, snack at 10:00, lunch at 12:30, snack at 3:00/3:30.

My regular snacks include:
    Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite or Chobani) - sometimes with fresh fruit
    Bananas
    Bell Peppers with hummus
    Stacy chips with hummus
    Kind bars - Dark Chocolate Cherry is my favorite
    English muffin with almond or peanut butter

Hmm...looks like I'll have to keep checking this thread - I need new snack ideas myself...! :-) Good luck.
  • brandee1212
    brandee1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I keep my fridge at work stocked like my home fridge (maybe better!). I have cucumbers, bell peppers, raw broccoli, baby carrots, dip (made of a hidden valley ranch packet and fat-free sour cream), seedless red grapes, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, Colby's Cinnamon Sugar Kettle Corn (to DIE FOR), and every now and again I put some frozen treats in there as well. I love DQ's Vanilla Orange Creme bars (60 cal) or their Fudge Bars (50 cal) or Wyler's Italian Ice (50 cal). Those are mostly empty calories, but they really hit the spot when I have a craving for sweets and don't want to ruin my calorie count for the day.
  • haeffel2
    Options
    These are all so great! Thank you so much! (Keep posting!!) I wish you all could see me madly writing every idea down so I can go grocery shopping after work! haha
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    String cheese, boiled eggs, watermelon (or really fruit of any kind), pop corn, mini rice cakes, cereal (my new favorite is Quaker Cinnamon oatmeal squares....stand by is froot loops!), yogurt
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just had lunch and thanks to all of you I'm hungry again! I hope you're happy. Lol!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You can get individual servings of hummus and eat it with carrots or kashi crackers. I buy the Sabra brand at Sams/Walmart and it's very good.

they also have a grilled chicken asagio cheese sausage link that is only 110 calories per link (slightly larger than hot dog size)

Yogurt & fruit, tuna & crackers, no sugar added fruit cups, low fat string cheese melted in microwave on melba toast,

cut up an apple and microwave it with 1/2 chewy chocolate granola bar on top
  • haeffel2
    Options
    Brilliant!:]
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work full time too, and must have my snacks!! :laugh:
    My favorites:
    String Cheese (low fat)
    Baby carrots
    Grape Tomatoes
    Blueberries
    Grapes
    Kind mini bars
    Special K 90 calorie bars
    100 calorie bag of popcorn
    Raisins - small box
    Almonds/or pistachios

Hope this helps!!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I keep hummus, peanut butter, almonds and fruit at work.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I stay away from foods I don't have a stop mechanism for (like hummus, nuts, chips/pretzels, granola bars). I've found that fruits and veggies are the way to go for me.

I cut up whatever veggies I got from the local farmer's market on Saturday and grab as many fruits as look appetizing.

This week I had a lot of blueberries, strawberries, apples, peaches, and cherry tomatoes in the fruit category. And I had carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber slices, and bell pepper slices.

I also sometimes break my lunch into two or three portions and have many "lunches". Basically, I eat all day at work, maybe every 30 mins-1 hour. But my average totals calorie-wise for work eating is around 500 (528.8 this week).

Best of luck! :flowerforyou: