Is sparking water just as bad as Diet Soda???

Options
I normally am a diet soda junkie but am trying to lose 80lbs and want to know early is sparkling water bad for you too? Fyi I plan to incorporate water in my diet too!

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    No. The carbonation can make you bloat in large quantities but the reason tonic is bad for you is because of the chemcials in it.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No. The carbonation can make you bloat in large quantities but the reason tonic is bad for you is because of the chemcials in it.

Stop making things up.
  • cmeade20
    Options

Stop making things up.

And what did I make up?
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    People usually stay away from diet soda because of artificial sweeteners, not carbonation. There's a lot of debate surrounding the safety of them, but I just usually stay away from them because they give me headaches lol

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073/
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Please remember Google is your friend! :wink:

Here's some interesting info I found.....

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/voices/2012/03/5-healthy-and-delicious-alternatives-to-diet-soda/
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If I feel I need a "soda" I get Izze. It's pure fruit juice with just a little sparkling water added.

I don't induldge in this often because it's still high in sugar, but at least it's just the sugar that's IN the fruit and not tons of added HFCS or artificial sweeteners. :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water is fine. Even the flavored kinds. Just stay away from the flavored sweetened stuff if you want to avoid artificial sweeteners.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    sparkling water is carbonated water (CO2)
    tonic water is carbonated water with quinine and sweeteners added
    club soda is water that is carbonated with baking soda(NaHCO3), which increases its sodium content

so straight sparkling water is fine, I drink it when I go out. I have no issues with bloating.
  • Bbmsmom
    Bbmsmom Posts: 5
    Options
    I read up on this because I wondered the same thing.

It's not bad for you in any way, shape or form....their is no proof behind any of the claims that it effects calcium or your health. In defense of others saying it's bad, there are many sources out there that say it is bad. It's hard to know which sources to trust...so we need to give each other some slack, we are all trying to be the healthiest we can be.
    On the other hand, yes, it does cause extreme bloating. We love this stuff in our house and it makes your stomach bloat up like no tomorrow. We don't do the juice, just the waters like La Croix, Pellegrino, Perrier and the likes. When I am craving carbonation-I go for one of these over soda.

It does not quench your thirst...so no matter which way you look at it, you need your water intake to stay the same If it's sparkling water of soda...yes, the water is far more nutritious that soda, diet or regular. Just remember to drink plenty of regular water too. :smile:
  • Deniarose1
    Options
    So the sparkling water that I have is target brand artificially flavored 0 cals and 0 caffeine it has some potassium and carbonated water in it. It has aspartame which is bad I know!
  • cmeade20
    Options
    So the sparkling water that I have is target brand artificially flavored 0 cals and 0 caffeine it has some potassium and carbonated water in it. It has aspartame which is bad I know!

Some people are going to freak out and say theres nothing proving aspartame is bad blah blah blah. In my opinion theres sparkling water without it in it and you can certainly live your life without aspartame whether its bad or not so if you can I'd get that sparkling water. I dont think it would be the end of the world if you finished off what you have now though.
  • Deniarose1
    Options
    Thanks All!!!!!