How to do cardio while lifting weights at the SAME time

Options
If you're like me you would hate running on the treadmill too, an hour on the treadmill is torture it's so boring. But there is a way to work on your cardio while lifting weights.

The key to do it is all in your heart rate. It's pretty simple really, get it up quickly, and keep it up while you're working out. This means short rests, and no talking. If you're able to speak a complete sentence, you aren't workig hard enough (good test if you don't have HRM)

Doing heavy exercises gets my heart rate up easily, but to make sure I keep it up while letting my muscles rest I will do twists. Simply plant your feet shoulder width apart, elbows out to either side like you're going to do the chicken dance, and pretend you're holding a water bottle between your hands over your chest. Twist side to side for the entirety of your rest period, if you activate your abs while doing this you can get a little bit of an oblique workout in the process. I also superset where I can.

I try to keep my heart rate over 150, higher if I can, and If I went outside tomorrow I could run 4+ miles easily, even though I haven't even run 2 in the last month.

Replies

• Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks :smile:
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I use to run three times a week and do crossfit twice. Now, I lift three times a week, run only on Saturdays, and mix up my workouts on Tuesdays. I run because I can when I couldn't for so long, but I definitely don't love doing it!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    they call it circuit training
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    they call it circuit training

I'd retweet that if this were twitter.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    No, the OP is talking about "active rests"
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you're like me you would hate running on the treadmill too, an hour on the treadmill is torture it's so boring. But there is a way to work on your cardio while lifting weights.

The key to do it is all in your heart rate. It's pretty simple really, get it up quickly, and keep it up while you're working out. This means short rests, and no talking. If you're able to speak a complete sentence, you aren't workig hard enough (good test if you don't have HRM)

Doing heavy exercises gets my heart rate up easily, but to make sure I keep it up while letting my muscles rest I will do twists. Simply plant your feet shoulder width apart, elbows out to either side like you're going to do the chicken dance, and pretend you're holding a water bottle between your hands over your chest. Twist side to side for the entirety of your rest period, if you activate your abs while doing this you can get a little bit of an oblique workout in the process. I also superset where I can.

I try to keep my heart rate over 150, higher if I can, and If I went outside tomorrow I could run 4+ miles easily, even though I haven't even run 2 in the last month.

Sometimes its not always that simple :'(
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    No, the OP is talking about "active rests"

"active rests"
    Wrestler-excited.gif