Feel guilty about taking a day off going to the gym

Options
I've been to the gym or worked out for 11 days straight. In the last month I've only missed 3 other times. Why do I feel so guilty if I'm unable to go to the gym today? Probably because we ate out last night and my scale said I was 3lbs heavier. More than likely due to the sodium in the food and it being close to that TOM. It is good to take a day off from exercise every once in a while, right?

Replies

• KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Absolutely! You should take at least one day a week off. Your body needs the rest!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The following message is very important: You NEED rest! You really need to take a rest day once in a while, it is so important that you do! Otherwise you are just tearing down your body and not giving it a chance to recover. I personally don't believe anyone should be in the gym more than 4 days without taking at least 1 day off to rest and recoup before getting back after it. some people say 3, some say 5 or 6, but you really do need to take rest days and enjoy them.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been to the gym or worked out for 11 days straight. In the last month I've only missed 3 other times. Why do I feel so guilty if I'm unable to go to the gym today? Probably because we ate out last night and my scale said I was 3lbs heavier. More than likely due to the sodium in the food and it being close to that TOM. It is good to take a day off from exercise every once in a while, right?

I actually find this to be a positive thing. If I don't exercise, I will totally avoid MFP or I will be embarrassed to say that I have done nothing. This has gotten better with time and it will with you, too. You will get to the point where you don't feel guilty about it because you know you will go right back there.
  • msgunder
    msgunder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I usually do 20-30 minutes of cardio each day (depending on how long my lunch is). Yesterday I was in the gym for an hour. I did 30 minutes cardio and then I added weight lifting for the first time. I have plans to go tomorrow so I shouldn't feel guilty. I"m sure it's just because I'm feeling exceptionally large today :embarassed: Thank you all for what you've said!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The day after I take a rest day I feel invigorated!
  • PaulEverton
    Options
    dont be, you should take two days off per week. rest is just as important as working out.. I personally do a 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on and 1 day off... it works well for me.
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The following message is very important: You NEED rest! You really need to take a rest day once in a while, it is so important that you do! Otherwise you are just tearing down your body and not giving it a chance to recover. I personally don't believe anyone should be in the gym more than 4 days without taking at least 1 day off to rest and recoup before getting back after it. some people say 3, some say 5 or 6, but you really do need to take rest days and enjoy them.

This :happy:
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    :smile: You need rest.... schedule your days off....
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You feel guilty because you're obsessive. Let go of the 'all or nothing' mentality and realize that you'll survive if you take a day or two, or even (and this is beneficial to allow your body to heal) a week off.
  • mereyrae30
    mereyrae30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel the same way, but a part of me always worries too when I do take a rest day that I will get off my routine and fall off the wagon completely. It has happened in the past, but for the last 18 months the longest I went without working out was 3 days(on vacation). So it may just be all in my head:)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Yes! Please rest! I usually workout 6 days per week (M-Sat), taking Sundays off. I do strictly cardio on Tues, Thurs, and Sat, and a combination of cardio and strength training on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Saturday's cardio routine is generally a little lighter than on the other days. ONE day out of seven is NOT going to set you back, and if you're weighing EVERY DAY, please STOP IT. There is nothing more discouraging and frustrating than stepping on the scale one morning, seeing you have lost a pound or two, then stepping on the scale the next morning and seeing you are four pounds heavier than yesterday. Don't weigh more than once per week. I know it's a hard habit to break, and it's tempting to take a peek at your progress, but it can really be very damaging to your efforts.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I generally don't like taking days off but I rested yesterday due to a sprained ankle. I felt fine to exercise today and felt even more motivated and stronger. I'll definitely rest once a week from now on.