donating or tossing the "fat clothes"

Options
anyone else done this? gotten rid of the bigger size so that you don't have a choice but to make sure you get into the smaller size, or stay in the same size??

i'm already getting rid of anything sweat pants related!!! i will wear my yoga pants, but i refuse to ever put on another pair of sweat pants ( even if they are size small, LOL!!!)

i'm just wondering if getting rid of what i consider my "fat" pants is a good idea.......

thanks!!!

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Good call. If in good condition, definitely donate.
  • Bbmsmom
    Bbmsmom Posts: 5
    Options
    I did it too. Get rid of the safety net! No plans to gain weight, so why keep them around? Donating them is a great idea...what a way to bless others with your success!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    anyone else done this? gotten rid of the bigger size so that you don't have a choice but to make sure you get into the smaller size, or stay in the same size??

i'm already getting rid of anything sweat pants related!!! i will wear my yoga pants, but i refuse to ever put on another pair of sweat pants ( even if they are size small, LOL!!!)

i'm just wondering if getting rid of what i consider my "fat" pants is a good idea.......

thanks!!!

When they are too big, get rid of them! The satisfaction of doing so, is a real booster. I am fixing to take my sixth tote to Goodwill next week. Of course, now I have to go shopping - again! :happy:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    GOOD RIDDANCE!

I'm having a hard time not backsliding right now because I can't afford to get all new size 8 stuff, and so I have made up the extra room in my size 10's. If I could have eliminated all the size 10 stuff, and only kept my 8's, I know I would not have stalled out, and I would be in 6's now.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Donate. Possibly someone on here or at gym etc. I see alot of comments about people needing to buy new clothes but can not afford it or are still losing and hate to invest in something they will only wear a short time and then it will be to big. But yes, don't look back.
    Oh! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    some people keep them so they can do their "before/after" pictures and you can see exactly what they lost. i prefer to donate. i have given anything over my current size away other than some tops.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I love putting clothes in the giveaway pile! I wish I'd kept my largest pair of jeans. I kept the next ones down, and the sweater I have a pic of myself in at my highest weight, otherwise, everything goes!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yes i've done it before and I will be doing it again. When you only have a few things to choose from it motivates you even more to lose and get some new clothes!
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options
    I am getting rid of or altering as I go to reduce the cost of buying new clothes until I have to. Except for one pair of pants. I want the "look at healthy me fitting into one leg of my fat pants" picture! lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Abso-frickin'-lutely get rid of them. Keeping them is just giving yourself an excuse to fail and gain it back. If you want to do a before and after photo, then keep one pair of big pants or something...but donate the rest of it ASAP!
  • hhindsle
    hhindsle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I plan on donating mine as I go. So far I have donated some to a coworker that I know needs them but in the future plan on donating them to a local nursing home or county retirement home where they are needed. I didn't realize how much they are needed until I called them randomly to ask. They said they get a lot of donations for smaller to average people but really need donations of larger clothes. Just something to consider.
  • tracy1031
    tracy1031 Posts: 36
    Options
    If you gain the weight back, your punishment will be to have to buy new clothes. On the other side, as you get smaller, your reward is you get to buy new clothes! Heheh ;-)
  • Bonnie1974
    Bonnie1974 Posts: 58
    Options
    I always get rid of my fat clothes once I don't fit into them. I figured that there is no way I will wear those clothes again.. Its motivation to keep going and to get smaller.. and a reason to buy new clothes :)

Apparently yoga pants should go to.. becus they stretch if we gain weight.. but like u I love my Yoga pants.. its comfort:)
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I gave my hand me down pants to my daughter,( who filled my pants out better than I ever did!) I donated to the Salvation army and I consigned my nicer dresses/jackets to the a local upscale 2nd hand shop. i made $30 so far and am happy with that :)
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I had 6 huge bags (even huge, I was a clothes horse) of clothes that are too big for me now sitting in the garage. I keep tossing stuff on the pile and wondering ....why am I holding on to this crap? I'm never going back.

I donated them all this week to Savers, which is partnered with boys & girls clubs in my area.

I'm starting a new pile for them now!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah get rid of them. That way if you start putting weight back on you'll have to go out and buy new ones. It's just one more motivational tool in your arsenal.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Good call. If in good condition, definitely donate.

This.

And congratulations on the loss!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I donated all my clothes to the Salvation Army, Good Will and Out of the Closet.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love putting clothes in the giveaway pile! I wish I'd kept my largest pair of jeans. I kept the next ones down, and the sweater I have a pic of myself in at my highest weight, otherwise, everything goes!

I wished I had kept a pair of my largest pair of jeans and tee-shirt also. I plan to go to the thrift store and buy both in my starting size when I reach my goal weight, just for pictures. I'll probably keep them in my closet, just for motivation when I start maintaining.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Definitely donate if you can =) Getting rid of your 'fat' clothes will really inspire you. I ended up buying an item that was 1 size too small, 2 sizes too small and 3 sizes too small when I started. Not expensive stuff at all, just a very cheap top in the sale to inspire me to get into them. I am now in the 3 sizes too small top =)