A few questions

Options
I just have some questions:

- Does it really matter what you eat as long as at the end of the day I'm under/on my calorie goal? I know eating deep fried junk food won't be great but I mean other "not as healthy as usual" foods

- I am constantly under my calorie goal. I mean I end a day on 800-1000. The thing is if I add anything else my other goals (Protein, Carbohydrates etc.) are over. What do I REALLY need to be focusing on interms of goals other than Calories? And does it really matter if the other goals other than calories are over?

- I've been told a lot of different stories about what I should be eating a lot of and what not. So interms of high protein, low carb or low protein, high carb or whatever is best to lose weight?

Thanks for whatever help I can get.

I'm actually quite close to where I want to be looks wise, so it is kind of like the last stretch for me, but things have been really slowing down (although this has only been over a few days, so it could just be a blip that will solve itself soon!)

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out is what matters. However, Healthy food is better for you.

Don't worry about being over on anything in the beginning, except calories. Try to get as close to your net as possible. Once you get a grip on things and start to learn more, then start to worry about the proper ratios of carbs, proteins and fats. Just cutting calories is a feat in and of itself and most people need some time to acclimate to the drop in calories.

Read as much as you can about everything. Make decisions and opinions based on things that resonate with you and from people that you trust.

My opinion is do what works for you. Once things stop working for you. Reassess and move on.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    1) for weight loss, no it doesn't matter. If you're under calorie allowance you will lose. BUT for health and energy and feeling satiated and lots of other things far more important than what you weigh, yes, it absolutely matters.

2) you probably ought to eat a little more if you can, especially if you are exercising. If you can't stomach the idea of more food, try a small amount of very energy dense food - cook in olive oil for example, or have a couple of spoons of peanut butter.

3) there is no agreed-upon consensus as to what macro balance is optimal for weight loss. Some people do fine on one balance, others don't. In my opinion, moderation in all three macros is the best starting point for anyone, and if you have to go over in one of them - try to make it protein.

Hope that helps.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    - Does it really matter what you eat as long as at the end of the day I'm under/on my calorie goal? I know eating deep fried junk food won't be great but I mean other "not as healthy as usual" foods
    In terms of weight loss? Doesn't really matter.
    - I am constantly under my calorie goal. I mean I end a day on 800-1000. The thing is if I add anything else my other goals (Protein, Carbohydrates etc.) are over. What do I REALLY need to be focusing on interms of goals other than Calories? And does it really matter if the other goals other than calories are over?
    I would hit my calorie goal no matter what. Rather hit my calories and go over on a macro than eat so few calories.
    - I've been told a lot of different stories about what I should be eating a lot of and what not. So interms of high protein, low carb or low protein, high carb or whatever is best to lose weight?
    There are benefits for low carb and there are benefits for moderation. Nothing is particularly best for losing weight, it really boils down to what works best for you.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way.
    If you drink 10 cans of Pepsi in one day, you're going to be under your calorie goal, but your sugar is going to sky rocket.

Your first two questions are inter-related. It DOES matter what you, because if you aren't eating the right stuff, your other goals will go into the negatives even if your calorie intake is still green.
    You need to eat properly in order to lose weight. If you're eating way too much of one thing (carbs, suger, protein, etc), you might gain weight. Calories is the most important thing to stay under, but not the only thing. You need to take into account other things, especially for your health and not just to lose weight.