My FITNESS pal.

Options

Replies

• CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Some people just need to focus on one thing at a time, and their biggest priority might be losing weight first, especially if they are obese. Just dropping excess weight can and often does put many people in a better state of health.

Perfectly said!
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I so agree which is why it finally is working to take the weight off. I have suffered my stomach problems forever and since I have been making changes since this past April, it is shocking how much better I feel. Now if I could figure out why I am also so tired. Need to do something different but one step at a time.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Simple.
    FItness = Fit = Healthy.

If you're healthy you won't be overweight/obese.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Let me specify what I mean.

I am not talking about the people who use this website at all. This was in reference to anyone who is losing weight in an unhealthy fashion, just to reach their goal weight. For example, starving themselves or purging or some other absurd tactic.

It's okay for "being skinny" to be your motivation. It's just not okay to go to extremes(to the point where your health/mental state is no longer a concern) JUST to lose those extra pounds.

Ok so what you are saying is that bulimics and anorexics are losing weight in an unhealthy way and it irks you. I think we could all agree with that. Why post about it here though? You said you weren't talking about anyone on this particular site. Do you have a friend that needs help or that you are concerned about?
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not my WEIGHTLOSS pal.

Seriously, why don't people realize that when you focus on getting healthy, weight loss will come with it?

If all you're doing is trying to lose weight, many many complications can come along with that if you aren't making a point to be healthy.

*arg*

Edit: I don't mean that you shouldn't be here to try and lose weight. I just mean that anyone's main focus should be their health status as well!

Why are you letting what other people do on this effect you? Just focus on yourself and not on what other people are doing on this site. Simple.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options

Being overweight and obese is a health risk too. And its questionable whether eating under 1200 calories is really all that bad, particularly for an obese person.

The bigger you are, the more you need to eat.. you can deffinitly "down size" the meals.. but going from lets say 3000cals to 1200 or less... will have bad side effects.. its gotta be slow and gradual..Bigger the body, more fuel it needs.
    The body needs to be full and fueled. Starving will never help.

They might "need" more because they have more fat and overall mass... but not EVERYTHING gets bigger (brain, bones, etc). If this is not ok then why are morbidly obese patients prescribed on it? And also, plenty of people go under 1200 calories and feel just fine, no side effects. Thanks for your take even though I disagree with it! :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/344433-diet-plans-for-morbid-obesity/
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Don't worry...be happy :glasses:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Goals that we do not track are seldom realized.
    Weight, body fat % or body measurements are all valid standards to track progress.
    The man in the mirror lies.
    Set goals, take action, track progress and make adjustments. That is key.
    All Is Possible!
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    You're not the boss of me! LOL
    :laugh:

Never claimed to be.
    I was just stating what I thought. Is that a crime now too?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My dog's breath smells like dog food. :laugh:
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    People have a wealth of knowledge on this site, and if they choose not to use it, or absorb some of it, that's their choice. If they wanted to be healtier, they have the opportunity to learn more. If they don't, it's none of my business and doesn't derail me or bother me in the slightest.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    FITNESS: Good health or physical condition, especially as a result of exercise and proper nutrition.

Losing weight is as much a part of "fitness" as exercising.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, let other people do what works for them. It's all good.

It is if their motivation is to lose weight to look good. That's fine, go ahead. If you're also sticking to healthy choices, that's cool too.

But seriously, does it not irk people when people are eating only 600 calories a day and even risking their health just to lose weight.

First world problems...

You've obviously lived a very sheltered life or something. Live in NYC or something where you'll see homeless folks wearing nothing but underwear made out of newspaper and then realizing that you don't even care about that. Its a very humbling experience to realize that really, what others do that doesn't affect you directly isn't something worth losing sleep over
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    Some people just need to focus on one thing at a time, and their biggest priority might be losing weight first, especially if they are obese. Just dropping excess weight can and often does put many people in a better state of health.

But think about it this way. It's extremely easy to lose weight and not be healthy.
    It's near impossible to keep yourself healthy and be overweight/obese.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's also not My Critical Pal, My Bi**h Session Pal, My Rant Pal, My boyfriend isn't helping me Pal, My exercise calories Pal, or My I want advice but not if it disagrees with my preconcieved notions Pal. But people do what they want.

Perfect point!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Not my WEIGHTLOSS pal.

Seriously, why don't people realize that when you focus on getting healthy, weight loss will come with it?

If all you're doing is trying to lose weight, many many complications can come along with that if you aren't making a point to be healthy.

*arg*

Edit: I don't
    mean that you shouldn't be here to try and lose weight. I just mean that anyone's main focus should be their health status as well!

Are you the MFP police! Why do you care how or why someone else uses this site! People also come here for support and comfort.What are you going to say to them? LIGHTEN UP!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I have to agree on some level..... but I've seen some people who are actually on here to gain weight as well...or who don't need to lose at all, but are working on fitness goals.

It shouldn't matter where you started....only that most people are here for self-improvement reasons of SOME kind. Whatever that might be...we should try to support them.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Let me specify what I mean.

I am not talking about the people who use this website at all. This was in reference to anyone who is losing weight in an unhealthy fashion, just to reach their goal weight. For example, starving themselves or purging or some other absurd tactic.

It's okay for "being skinny" to be your motivation. It's just not okay to go to extremes(to the point where your health/mental state is no longer a concern) JUST to lose those extra pounds.

Wow. You have a lot of stress. Really. You only have to worry about yourself. It's okay. I'm sure - just YOU. For most people, taking care of themselves and their families is enough.
  • pavingnewpaths
    Options
    Do what works for you, let other people do what works for them. It's all good.

It is if their motivation is to lose weight to look good. That's fine, go ahead. If you're also sticking to healthy choices, that's cool too.

But seriously, does it not irk people when people are eating only 600 calories a day and even risking their health just to lose weight.

First world problems...

You've obviously lived a very sheltered life or something. Live in NYC or something where you'll see homeless folks wearing nothing but underwear made out of newspaper and then realizing that you don't even care about that. Its a very humbling experience to realize that really, what others do that doesn't affect you directly isn't something worth losing sleep over

I do in fact live in NY. Totally irrelevant considering I didn't mean that it bothers me to the point that it's on my mind constantly.

I feel like people are completely missing my point here.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    So it's MyTellEveryOneElseHowTheyShouldBeDoingThingsPal.