Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am accurate to a t haha
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I try to measure as much as I can. I have also bought smaller dishes that are 1 cup so that I can use them and not have to worry.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    It depends on what I'm eating. Meat, I remember the rules from weight watchers, a portion of meat should be the size of a deck of cards. Same thing with fruit, which is about the size of your fist. When it comes to things like carbs (cereal, potatoes...etc), I measure everything out, just because I love carbs and I don't trust myself at all, and the same thing goes for dairy, love it and I have to measure everything.
  • jasondcooper
    jasondcooper Posts: 125
    Options
    I try not to obsess over getting an exact calorie count every day. That's what I thought this was about when I started logging everything. What I have found though, is that keeping a log has helped me identify my pitfalls (for me it's Mexican food and pasta) and to re-learn how to eat a healthy diet. Ballpark figures will be close enough for most of us: if we are truly committed to keeping a log and to making a lifestyle change, we will get down to our healthy weight and stay there!
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I measure everything I eat, and log my calorie intake and my exercise precisely. Portion control is one of the things that got me here in the first place; for me, I feel I need to keep an eagle eye on what goes onto my plate, if that makes sense.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When I am home I measure things out exactly. I will measure the lunch meat I put in my eggs, the cheese, the pasta I eat, the fish, chicken, yogurt etc. etc. I even measure out what I put in my salads. Since I do this with some things like the lunch meat, cheese and things like that I know how much an ounce or two is but I still double check in case the person cut the stuff a little more thick.

When I go out and I find something similar to what I ate it's more of a guesstimate.

It's just part of what I do when I prepare my food. Hell, I even count out 40 pistachio nuts to make the serving size when I eat them.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. Maybe once I'm more used to it or closer to my goal I'll relax a bit, but right now measuring is safer for my willpower and my budget, lol.

It's just a $7 analog scale, nothing fancy, but it's working for me.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Simple question, as I get work towards my goal I wonder how accurate others are in the portion size. Do you measure everything out exactly? Estimate based on something in particular? A bit of both? Any thoughts would be great thanks.

A bit of both here. I do eat out occasionally so I do need some questimates. I do try to break it down to it's parts unless there is a known good value in MFP. In class we have been through the '4 oz is as big as a deck of cards' discussion so I should be pretty close.

When I'm home, I do measure most everything.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just bought a scale on amazon, I need better sized bowls or more measuring cups. :flowerforyou:
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm pretty excellent at estimating most things - but some things, if I'm unsure, I'll actually measure.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I measure with an electronic food scale when ever possible - I would say 80 or 90% of the time.
  • philfinallyfit
    philfinallyfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I committed myself to a 30 day period where I ate nothing but Weight Watchers Smart Ones. It could have been Lean Cuisine or whatever, but the thing that I was after had to do with what you are dealing with: exactness. I was precise in that the packaging gave me precision. THe meal choices were great in that I could eat Pepperoni Pizza, Hamburgers, whatever came in one of their boxes. My only concern was calorie precision, yet when I finished 30 days, I learned how to self-elect foods and sizes of portions from the experience. Together with the obvious ordering of fish vs. steak and asparagus vs. french fries, I avoided fast food altogether, sans Subway, which became my fail-safe backstop. Sitll is. Been losing steadily as before, and now use Lean Cuisine to augment this approach. But the key is precision, especially until you learn what you need to learn in order to eat to lose.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure everything. I've been in maintence a few months now but I still log and weigh all my food. I could never trust myself to eyeball my food.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Measuring how much fits into the dishes you use most helps or, where you can, measure out the serving size portions as you get them in the door and put them in sandwich baggies. That way you don't need to measure like mad each time you eat. Then there are the tips like...1 serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards, or one serving of cheese is the size of your thumb. Those are actually more accurate than you would think.

This and I use my scale. Sometimes I get lazy so I use the above technique. It has worked for me. Or if it's chips or cookies or something that can be "counted" I count the amt of crackers or cookies I eat.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty OCD and weigh, measure, or count everything lol. I eat goldfish crackers all the time and I either count them out or weigh out 30g :laugh:
  • dancecentral
    dancecentral Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I recently read somewhere that measuring everything and logging every calorie can interfere with your bodies ability to sense hunger/fullness signals.. but I figure if I could trust my bodies signals I wouldn't have gained in the first place. lol.. So I measure most stuff.. but I'm getting better at eyeballing things I eat often..
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh/count when it is possible. I'm so neurotic about this that my kids sometimes do it :ohwell:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure things but I'm pretty good at eyeballing things. I do tend to enter things at 10 - 15% more just in case my eyeball is not as good as I think it is!

Me too. And I've gotten even better as I've measured things I'm not sure of and gotten a good visual estimate. I cook a lot so have a pretty good size estimate in my head anyway. It's ounces that kill me (cups, teaspoons are easy).

Here's a wallet size portion estimator. It really helps.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/wallet-portion-control-size-guide
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything when I can, which is almost all the time. People might call it obsessive, I call it getting the results I want. *shrug*
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm also much more careful about high calorie than low calorie foods. Meat, potatoes - measure. Lettuce? One cup - two cups. Who cares?