Weight lifting

Options
Hello!

I feel a plateau coming on. While at the beginning of my journey, I was steadily losing 1 lb or more a week, the last few weeks have been significantly lower than that -- about a half a pound or less. While I realize this isn't a "plateau" exactly, I'd really like to avoid hitting one at all if I can. Therefore, I've decided that I'm going to start lifting weights and such to help reduce inches and combat getting stuck in a slump. However, I don't have the first clue about what to do to kick-start my weight lifting. I do have a membership to a gym that has an extensive amount of equipment available, and I usually go 4-6 times weekly, but I've currently only done cardio.

I don't know that it matters at all, but I am 5'6.5" (yes, that extra half an inch is important to me!) and I weigh 135.8. I'd love to get down to 120, which is where I was a few years ago. I also recently (as in yesterday) got a fitbit and am hoping it give me the extra motivation I need to get out of my seat and moving some more.

So here are some specific questions that maybe some of you can help answer:

-- What are specific areas that I should target with my weight lifting?
-- How many times a week should I lift weights?
-- How do you vary your routine (from working legs one day to arms the next, etc.)
-- Any other tips/advice you can give me is great.

Any tips and advice you have is appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For a beginner it's usually recommended to start with a program like Starting Strength (SS), Google it and you find out more than you ever wanted to know. But basically it's a beginner routine for 3 days a week that is a whole body workout which is what you need. 5 major lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press and barbell row IIRC) you'll do 3 times a week. Bring a pad of paper and a pen to write down how much weight and how many reps you do at each weight so you can track your progress and remember what you did the last time.

Start out light on the weights until you get your form down, or work with a personal trainer for the first few sessions to help get your form in check. Your form is more important than how much you are lifting. See how many times I've said form here, are you getting the picture that form is important, I hope so because form is the most important part to avoid injury, especially for beginners.

When you first start lifting, you may see that number on the scale go up a bit, but don't let that discourage you because those are what are referred to as "noob gains" or "beginner gains". You're in a calorie deficit so your body won't normally build much muscle, however when you first start lifting it's so new to your body that you'll put on some muscle. Don't worry you won't get bulky or manly overnight while lifting, you'll start to drop weight as well as add a touch of muscle during the first month or 2, so you'll start to notice yourself becoming more "tone" (which is the same as saying your losing weight).