Weird Question

cyndijoy
cyndijoy Posts: 27
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, I know this is weird, but I'm asking anyway. Do you know if they have dance classes for heavy women? I don't know, salsa, whatever. I LOVE dancing...I used to dance all the time. I've gained all this weight, and have no one to go with anymore. :sad: I thought maybe a dance class would be a fun way to burn off calories, but I'll be da**ed if I shake my tail feathers in a class full of fit, skinny women. I fully own up to low self esteem, but I just can't do it. I live in Ohio..do they even HAVE classes like that? Thanks!

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    type in your city and see what come up http://search.zumba.com/classes

zumba is fun for all shapes and sizes.... at 217 lbs i am def not the smallest lol nor am i the biggest, we all have fun and support each other, besides we are all so concentrated on getting the moves right you don't notice anyone else lol

good luck
  • Maria105
    Maria105 Posts: 2 Member
    Try Jazzercise
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I took bellydance for several years. . .and you see women of all shapes and sizes. I highly recommend it.:flowerforyou:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I took bellydance for several years. . .and you see women of all shapes and sizes. I highly recommend it.:flowerforyou:

I was just gonna suggest that :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I danced away my first 10 pounds!! Out of shape and couldnt breath............but you can always modify the steps!!

Shaking your groove thing burns a LOT of calories!!

Salsa is really popular right now due to the different reality shows on TV. Check to see if your local high school has dance lessons. Even Line Dancing is fun and burns a ton!!

If not.......get a video. I have a few. One from Dancing with the Stars was 3 stars out of 10 in my book..........but there is a 10 min dance routines that are fantastic!!

have fun and you will continue with the exercise:flowerforyou:
  • Zumba!!!! you will have fun and lose weight at same time. I was so shy I would not dare to take the class untill I saw some old lady in her 60s came to the class so I decided to try it...
    ALso zumba does not bother my knees. Girl, you get to try it...and burn 700+ cal/hr.

COUNT DOWN: 5 more days to lose 2.2 lbs. I will lose 26lbs by xgiving (11 weeks) and get blue ray player as reward :drinker:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Ok, I know this is weird, but I'm asking anyway. Do you know if they have dance classes for heavy women? I don't know, salsa, whatever. I LOVE dancing...I used to dance all the time. I've gained all this weight, and have no one to go with anymore. :sad: I thought maybe a dance class would be a fun way to burn off calories, but I'll be da**ed if I shake my tail feathers in a class full of fit, skinny women. I fully own up to low self esteem, but I just can't do it. I live in Ohio..do they even HAVE classes like that? Thanks!

I'm with everyone else - when you are in a class full of women, you're going to see all sizes, and perhaps even some bigger than you! it's about YOU, and no one else! We are all in varying stages of fitness, so no one's judging you any harsher than they ever judged themselves at one time or another. At the gym, I see bigger women than myself and think "YAY, another person who actually gives a crap about herself! She'll be GREAT in a few months!" and I'm not alone!:smile:

If this still bothers you, your cheapest and most anonymous route to fitness using dancing as your MO, is to put a set of headphones and a cheap MP3 player on and dance around alone in your bedroom. The trick is, keep yourself going for at least 20 minutes... :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.