HRM chest strap necessary?

Options
jfrankic
jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
I'm looking into buying a hrm. I prefer a watch only with no chest strap. There are some continuous read watches, one is Polar RS100. I want to be able to wear it when I'm not exercising too. Why? Because I just want to know about calories burned and hr during my daily activities.

I know a chest strap is the way to get the closest to actual, but will the watch do a pretty good job, too? I don't want to spend $65 and it not be accurate, I've already got one of those!

Thanks!!

Replies

• jfrankic
    Options
    Bumping for expert advice!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The watch won't work without the strap.

However, there's a new device on the market that doesn't require a strap - it's first generation, still though, and I haven't tried it, but I'm tempted.

http://new.digifit.com/scosche/
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the strap??? I dont even feel it when its on. It goes directly under your bra strap, its made of cloth, and you wont even know its there.

I wouldnt recommend purchasing one without the chest strap.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    If you want something to wear all day, get a fitbit.
  • royalbott
    royalbott Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the "Wahoo Fitness Blue HR Heart Rate Strap for iPhone 4S" and I love it...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H8296VC/A/wahoo-fitness-blue-hr-heart-rate-strap-for-iphone-4s
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the strap??? I dont even feel it when its on. It goes directly under your bra strap, its made of cloth, and you wont even know its there.

Agreed. I'd rather spent more money and have it be accurate than only spend $65 and never know if it actually works.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    I have a polar f4 and I wear my chest strap even when I'm not working out just in case I want to see how many cals I'm burning walking somewhere...you get used to the strap and don't even know it's there...so the strap is really not a big deal -- and it's not noticeable if you tuck it under your bra :)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    the ones without the strap aren't accurate.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Mine works with and without my chest strap....I LOVE it, got one in an auction off Ebay for $25. Brand new
    *although I have only used it once or twice w/o the strap. It works great and is easy to use.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=new+balance+duo+HRM&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=5yN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=959&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9458755642644836964&sa=X&ei=jAruT8PPFPTH6AGFurmcCg&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAA
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the chest strap when I first got mine, but it is not a big deal at all. Sometimes after my workouts, I even forget to take mine off until I'm about to get in the shower and realize I'm still wearing it. If you're used to wearing a bra, you won't notice it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    YES /.endthread
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'd rather spent more money and have it be accurate than only spend $65 and never know if it actually works.

yup I agree as well. I have a polar ft4 and use it with fitbit as well. luv it!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't accurate (strap or no strap types) for all day wear. If you're looking for that kind of feedback look into a bodybugg, bodymedia or fitbit device.

If you're completely against a chest strap to get a HRM that is pretty accurate you're going have to invest more that $65. In that price range if you're going to get any accuracy get one with a chest strap. For most people, myself included, the chest strap is hardly noticeable after a short time of wear.
  • jfrankic
    Options
    Alrighty.....thanks folks! No, I've never tried the strap. I guess I'm apprehensive because it is something different. Will check them out!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of a watch alone that does a continuous reading....
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    People who want to track their daily energy expenditure seem to get those Fitbits and really like them.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Never heard of a watch doing continuous reading and that's what is most accurate!
    I love my strap, it's a sportsline (from walmart) came with the watch and the strap for only about $50
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    the ones without the strap aren't accurate.

Actually the one I linked to (new gen technology) *is* supposed to be very accurate.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yes, the chest strap is necessary because it monitors your heart.

If you want to know how many calories you burn doing your daily activity, use your BMR (Tools>BMR) and multiply it times your activity level (1.2 for sedentary or MOST people). It's an average but it is going to be pretty close.

HRMs are for tracking additional calorie burn activity from cardio exercise (not normal activity where you heart isn't elevated). Maybe you should look into some other device if that is not what you are looking for.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't accurate (strap or no strap types) for all day wear. If you're looking for that kind of feedback look into a bodybugg, bodymedia or fitbit device.

If you're completely against a chest strap to get a HRM that is pretty accurate you're going have to invest more that $65. In that price range if you're going to get any accuracy get one with a chest strap. For most people, myself included, the chest strap is hardly noticeable after a short time of wear.

HRMs are good for all-day wear with the strap (fitbits are accurate but do not have HR measures, fyi). They just don't work at night or if the watch gets too far from the strap (like, if you take the watch off and set it on your desk or something).