Trouble with exercise

Options
I am finding it difficult to exercise as I really don't know what to do! I walk for an hr a day and I need to know what the best type of exercise is to get rid of the fat on my belly and arms! Legs are not too bad as I walk so much, any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Replies

• damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce, you just have to keep working it off.

It will come off eventually.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Find exercise that fits into your lifestyle and that you enjoy - I have young kids so like you I do a lot of walking, but also exercise dvds at home (while kids are in bed). I take my son bike riding or join him on the trampoline.

After the summer (when I have saved up the joining fee) I am going to join the gym to do some weights. I can do swimming and classes as well if I want then.

Some people prefer team sports or classes with other people. Or hiking or jogging. There are loads of possibilities - what do you enjoy or want to try?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, and a year from now you should be transformed.
    Swimming is also good, and so too is dancing.
    Check out this site for ladies:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/522868-full-body-calisthenics-workouts-for-women/

This is a good start.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Try taking a set of hand weights along on your walk and do bicep curls, lift the weights over your head, chest flys.... whatever it takes to make MORE movement.... this will slightly increase your overall calorie burn, and begin toning arm muscles. This is not an effort to spot reduce (which we all know is unfortunately impossible), but will condition the muscles so when the fat goes away, your arms have some definition.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Carry light weights (like 5 lbs) and do arm exercises as you walk -- that will help with the arms. When you get home from the walk do a set of crunches or even better some pilates -- that well help with the belly. As previously said you can't spot reduce but as you lose weight you will start to be able to see the muscles you are building and of course the extra exercise will help you lose the weight.

If you are not sure what arm exercises to do while walking check out the Leslie Sandstone walking videos. If you google them on you-tube I am sure you can see some free clips to give the idea. Same with pilates. If you have cable there are probably a lot of free fitness videos in the on-demand section. Check those out and you will get LOTS of ideas.

Or if you are feeling like walking in general is getting boring try finding some classes you can take just for something different. I take dance classes and love it! Or join a softball league or some other team. Or try C25K (google it). Or if you can afford it join a gym and try classes or some of the machines. When you sign up there will be a new member orientation where they can suggest some things to try. Many gyms also offer trial memberships for free or low cost.