Realistic Goal Weight

Options
I had my annual physical today. Everything is a-okay! :)

My doc knows I've been losing weight and asked what my goal weight was. I told her ultimately, 135, maybe lower although I acknowledged that the lowest I've weighed in the past 10 years was 149. She kinda looked at me like I was nuts - like 135 was too LOW, even though it would still be considered on the very low end of "overweight" on the BMI charts (I'm short, only 5 ft 1 in). I also know your BMI isn't accurate, depending on your body fat. At 149 I felt great, but my body fat was still pretty high and I needed to tone a lot - especially my flabby tummy! My trainer echoed a lot of what my doctor said - when I was at 149 he didn't think I needed to lose another 15 lbs. - I just needed to continue to eat well and exercise so I'd firm up (which I obviously didn't do! lol).

Anyway, I guess I'm just sharing this as we often get stuck on what the scale reflects, rather than what our bodies look and feel like and what is realistic for our body types.

Replies

• GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have my goal weight set at 145, which is the highest weight to be at a "healthy" BMI. I don't really have any intention on getting to that weight, I can't even imagine it, but as I have never been a healthy weight, am so obese right now and have no idea at what weight my body will be acceptable to me, and healthy, I'm leaving it at that. If I get to, for instance, 160 and feel comfortable and healthy I'll stop there even though BMI would still be "overweight".