Leg press question

Options
This question is so incredibly stupid I don't even want to ask it. :embarassed:

There's a leg press machine at my gym that's essentially a seated leg press but you're actually lying down. The foot pad is even with your body and the movement is completely horizontal. So I'm not sure if this counts as a seated or lying leg press...? Anyway...

Say I put 160 lbs on this leg press and my weight is 130 lbs. When I push, the part I'm laying on moves me back away from the weight. So am I pressing 160 lbs or 290 lbs (because my weight is also moving)?

See, I told you. :blushing:

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am no design engineer when it comes to fitness equipment, I will say the weight you are pressing is what is on the weight stack. Even though you are moving along with the slide, gravitational forces are pulling your weight down. Designers would also have to compensate for the inertial resistance forces of the "sled" moving along its guide rails. That is where stuff like silicone and other lubricants an bushings to minimize the resistance.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    When I push, the part I'm laying on moves me back away from the weight. So am I pressing 160 lbs or 290 lbs (because my weight is also moving)?

Your weight is essentially taken out of the equation because you're laying on the sled and the sled is supporting all your weight. I'm sure there's some sort of extra effort moving yourself it if you wanted to get all scientific but I wouldn't try factoring that into the equation. Try moving the sled with no weight at all and see how easy it is to move. That should give you a good idea of what the base line is.

I suppose you could put a scale on the foot platform and see the actual weight applied. Sounds like a cool experiment if you have the time.