You've got to try my favorite food!!

Options
Do you have a favorite food or seasoning that has made a huge difference in your weight loss journey? I have a few, and without breaking any MFP advertising rules, I'd like to share them with you. Having options that have a lot of flavor, but not a lot of phony or unhealthy ingredients is what gets me through the day satisfied and smiling!

Please share what your favorites are, especially if it's an obscure item that most people wouldn't already know about. If appropriate, include how you use it. Here are mine:

Gilroy Hot Stuff: Garlic Habanero Seasoning - http://garliccapitalproducts.com/
I sprinkle this instead of salt (it has salt in it) on vegetables, potatoes, soup, eggs, and my husband likes it on meat.
Spicy foods are said to kick up your metabolism, too. It makes everything taste amazing! ...Bam!!

Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine Roasted Red Pepper Hommus - http://www.omcfood.com/
This is by far the best tasting hummus on the market! I can easily eat 1/2 cup because a serving this size is only 112 calories, 4 grams fat, 16 grams carb, and 4 grams protein. I always have one tub in the fridge, and several in the freezer. It's ready to go when I come home starving. I use it for dipping raw veggies, whole grain chips or crackers, or as a spread on sandwiches or wraps. It seems like I'm eating something decadent - it's the bomb!

I'm looking forward to getting new ideas from you!

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    my go to seasoning is italian seasoning and oragano! use it on everything
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    A lemon/garlic seasoning I use on my chicken, fish and meats...lol...It's soooooo good:)
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Sriracha, on EVERYTHING. The spiciness is soo flavorful!

Also, ketchup on unconventional things, like roasted carrots, roasted squash, raw mushrooms, etc.

You can buy this stuff that is in individual packets and it's powdered lime, lemon, or orange oil, perfect for sprinkling on seafood, in plain club soda, adding it to yogurt, fruit salad... anything! It's really addictive :D

I also use Frontier Organics chicken flavored broth powder is an awesome addition to sauteed chicken, beef, or veggies, noodles, rice, and as a flavor enhancer for gravy.

Try to re-think the spices and sauces you think you know, and try them in a new way! You could discover something awesome :D
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! What is the powdered citrus stuff called?
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I hope this thread continues, great suggestions thanks.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Basil and garlic are kind of my mainstays, and go with pretty much anything.

I recently discovered, through the glory of Costco samples, McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning. I did use it on chicken breasts, but it would be great on fish, sauteed red potatoes, tuna salad, and lots of I things I haven't thought of . :-)
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    bump
  • justgin1
    justgin1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get a cast iron skillet very hot then drizzle EVOO, quickly drop in thinly sliced strips of chicken that I've lightly sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh sliced garlic, at least 6 cloves. It cooks fast and has such good flavor. Sometimes I deglaze the pan with a tablespoon or two of FF chicken broth and it makes a "gravy". I also add a bit of Sriracha sometimes to heat it up. Works well with shrimp too.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have to admit but using med spicy fresh salsa, and red peppers are two of the things that helped me lose the weight I had lost... I also love veggie burgers, fish, and seafood...

I had to basically find reasonable alternatives to red meat, fried food, and fast food... Not an easy thing to do... But, in my case, it had been either change my eating habits or die...
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    It may be old school but for me it's cottage cheese. I love putting berries and honey in it for desserts, or just plain after a workout for a protein boost.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I discovered a love for wholegrain mustard for a start and now seem to have it with dinner everyday.

I also discovered the wonders of 0% Greek Yoghurt, into which I can mix all sorts of things to make a filling before bed dessert so I don't feel deprived, for example, I have mixed in seeds, jam, pb2 and milled flax, and currently mix in some stevia, vanilla cream casein protein powder, seeds and milled flax. I have yet to make a chocolate version.

Duck eggs - very filling and very nutritious. I hard boil them and keep them in their shells in the fridge to have when I need something filling so I don't eat rubbish.

Nakd bars - basically just nuts and dried fruit in a bar, with nothing added.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Gilroy Hot Stuff: Garlic Habanero Seasoning - http://garliccapitalproducts.com/
    I sprinkle this instead of salt (it has salt in it) on vegetables, potatoes, soup, eggs, and my husband likes it on meat.
    Spicy foods are said to kick up your metabolism, too. It

I'm looking forward to getting new ideas from you!
    p

Sounds good! Is there a lot of sodium in it?
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Yes there's salt in gilroy hot stuff - it's the first ingredient. The habanero is so powerful though that you don't need to use very much. There's no MSG or code names for MSG.
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Plain non-fat Greek yogurt! I eat it every single day, as evidenced by the fact that it is at the top of my favorite foods list on my MFP app. I stir in a little crunchy cereal in the AM for breakfast, or some berries. On the weekends I'll make a big bowl of a bunch of berries, and some cereal, maybe some walnuts, and a container of Greek yogurt. When berries aren't in season? Frozen blueberries - it's like eating ice cream! Well, sort of. And yes, I can eat it all by itself, plain and simple. Greek yogurt = happy Lisa.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Plain non-fat Greek yogurt! I eat it every single day, as evidenced by the fact that it is at the top of my favorite foods list on my MFP app. I stir in a little crunchy cereal in the AM for breakfast, or some berries. On the weekends I'll make a big bowl of a bunch of berries, and some cereal, maybe some walnuts, and a container of Greek yogurt. When berries aren't in season? Frozen blueberries - it's like eating ice cream! Well, sort of. And yes, I can eat it all by itself, plain and simple. Greek yogurt = happy Lisa.

That sounds amazing! I'll have to find a non-dairy alternative.