First half marathon tomorrow! :0 Any last minute tips?

Options
EEEK I'm starting to freak out! I've been training for 2 months, but now haven't run in almost a week due to a bad case of tendonitis in my left hip. Xray and CT scan both came back negative, so I am cleared to "try to run" tomorrow. Any advice about running with injuries/ running half marathons in general? I'm gonna try my best to drink lots of water and ice my hip tonight. Tomorrow I'll make sure to eat a good breakfast and stretch...anything else I'm forgetting? :)

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and have fun! You only get one first. :)

I like this quote from Dean Karnazes - "Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, but never, ever give up!".

What helped me through my first half was just keep moving.. no matter how slow, walking, jogging, shuffling... don't stop... just keep on trucking.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    Don't eat Indian or spicy foods tonight! i know someone who did and it really reeked havoc on them!

Nice and light and healthy! GOOD LUCK!!!!! Don't forget water!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and easy and most importantly, listen to your body.

And as my friend (who has ran several full marathons) is always reminding me, "there is nothing wrong with walking now and then; the idea is to finish and finish feeling good."

Good luck tomorrow!
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    love the above quote!!! good luck, don't push yourself too hard it is not worth any long term injury!! hope you can enjoy it and don't suffer too much during or after, massive respect to you for going ahead with it!! :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you plan on carbo-loading tonight (some people swear by it, some people don't believe in it) don't eat a super heavy meal tonight and definitely don't eat anything that your body is not used to already having in its diet! A piece of lean meat and a nice big salad are perfectly fine as a night-before dinner :)

Edit: And best of luck to you! Half marathons are great! :)
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have some anti-inflammatory meds post race. This will help if/when your hip swells. Also, eat LIGHT. You don't want to *ahem* stop for a bathroom break because you ate too much the day before (speaking from experience :tongue: ). Eat a banana for breakfast (with water) then take some energy gels (or jelly belly sports beans--my favorites) about a half hour before the gun goes off--this should give a good amount of energy to get you through about half the run). Also, don't push through the wrong kind of pain. If it's normal long-distance running pain that's...well...normal. If it's pain caused from a hip injury--stop. It's not worth damaging and putting yourself out longer.

Get all of your stuff laid out on your bed the night before. Put your timing chip on your shoes, get your lucky socks out (if you have 'em), put your bib number on your shirt, have your alarm clock already set. Basically, set yourself up so you have nothing to worry about. And TRY to get as much sleep as you can. Don't change anything from your normal routine...keep it simple...keep it easy.

You've got this. And like it was said before...have fun! Long distance races are like no other...I love 'em!!!

Good luck!!

Karrie
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Get out there and make us proud! You'll do great!
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Think of this week of rest as your time of "tapering", which is also part of preparation. Good luck, stay loose, and have fun!
  • RayMay4
    RayMay4 Posts: 7
    Options
    (I know this from my mom's experience.) If your feet hurt afterwards, WHAT EVER YOU DO! Do NOT soak them in hot water. This expands the blood vessels, and makes your feet swell up. Cold is the way to go. Its relieves the pressure. It is like putting and icepack on an injury so prevent bruising. So feet in cold water after (: (:
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I had an injury going into my first half too. I ran it in intervals of 4 min run / 1 min walk. I used the stopwatch feature on my wristwatch to keep up with it (my race allowed watches/timers). I would also say be careful of your gait/stride to prevent aggravation of your hip (the adrenaline rush of a race may cause you to run differently in the beginning).

Good luck and listen to your body!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get all of your stuff laid out on your bed the night before. Put your timing chip on your shoes, get your lucky socks out (if you have 'em), put your bib number on your shirt, have your alarm clock already set. Basically, set yourself up so you have nothing to worry about. And TRY to get as much sleep as you can. Don't change anything from your normal routine...keep it simple...keep it easy.

^THIS^ Especially if you have to travel at all. It's amazing what waking up and having your stuff all set up and ready to go can do for your confidence. It set's the tone for the day that you are prepared.
  • RayMay4
    RayMay4 Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh. by the way good luck, and remember this is for you and you will do great(:
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    At this point, make sure you hydrate well tonight and tomorrow morning, eat something like a bagel or oatmeal in the morning before, and the most important part, have a great time. You've trained hard for this so don't give up.
  • AngelEyez1967
    AngelEyez1967 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I ran my first (and only) 1/2 marathon in 2009. The few pieces of advice I can give you is whatever you do, KEEP YOUR ARMS UP AND MOVING. If you keep your arms moving your legs will follow. Drink water at EVERY water station...even if you're not thirsty...just take a sip and keep it moving. Don't listen to the little man on your shoulder trying to convince you to stop...flick him off and keep going. (smile). Don't worry about your time! You've gone through 2 months of training which is strenuous within itself. Most can't and won't get that far...so YOU'RE ALREADY A WINNER! CONGRATULATIONS! :happy:
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options
    Have fun!

Put your name/nickname on the back of your shirt. Use masking tape if u don't want to pull out the permanent ink. People will cheer you on by name! It makes it fun!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Take your time and walk when you need to, its not about getting there first, finishing is much more important!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    take every opportunity to go to the bathroom, before you set off to the race. the toilets at nearly all races are rank and busy. don't forget to drink water before you think you need it, but don't try anything new, especially the new free sports drinks being touted at such events. If you not tried it worn it eaten it, Race day is not the time to find out that you don't like it, it rubs, or it give you the trots.
    have fun, keep going, and remember the distance is in your head.