Good eating plan for Vegetarian ?

Options
Does anyone know any good food tips for vegetarians ? One like rice & peas = protein or good foods to mix together to get maximum potential out of them.

I heard from a friend that you should eat nuts with a meal to enhance fat loss, drink full fat milk etc has anyone come across this ?

I feel like my diet is lacking in something (don't say meat :p) and would like to try mixing other foods into my diet that perhaps I wouldn't have thought of before.

p.s. any veggie tips are welcome. I also think I'm allergic to egg but try to consume small amounts.

Replies

• nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    bumping for you... i wanna get back to eating mainly veggie meals
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Do you eat beans and cheese? Those are good sources of protein. I eat a lot of beans and cheese, and almonds. Nuts are very good for you, as are nut butters like (natural) peanut butter! If you get good, whole wheat bread that can have a lot of protein as well. Eat as many eggs as you can manage because they are great!

My favorite vegetarian meal right now is lentils and veggies. Lentils are AWESOME for you, about 10g protein per serving and I normally eat 2 servings with some sauteed onion, squash, and zucchini. Seasoned correctly it tastes amazing!

(I'm vegetarian too, feel free to add me)
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    black beans and rice also make a complete protein i find i eat them a lot cos i'm allergic to soy,and some tree nuts
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump....and for same reasons. I don't want soy or fake meat products. I used to be vegetarian and want to be so again...healthfully!
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pulses (red kidney beans, butter beans, chick peas, baked beans, black eyed beans etc)... I do eat quite a bit of quorn too.. Cheese I try to steer clear of as I just can't eat it in small quantities!

I try to eat about 4 eggs a week.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Here's a small tip--

You don't have to eat a complete protein at each meal. In other words it's okay to eat rice and fruit at breakfast and then beans and mushrooms at supper. So you don't have to worry about that.

Also you can check your local library for cookbooks, or look online for blogs with recipes. There's so many ideas out there, I bet it won't be long before you run across something and say "THAT'S what I've been missing!"

Oh and... beans for breakfast. Maybe smashed and heated in a pan, then add some spices, roll it up in a little tortilla... yum.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian (yet) but I made quinoa the other day that was just fantastic.

I made the organic quinoa as directed on the package - added a drained can of light kidney beans and added some grilled asparagus (chopped up) and onions that I had been preparing for a side dish...

Throw a little avocado on top of that and sprinkle some nuts of your choice and maybe chop up a tomato and you are in heaven!
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and don't worry too much about "complete" protein (maybe I should?). The foods don't need to be combined in the same meal so I figure if I eat a variety of things it will work out. I eat a ton of frozen vegetables, greek yogurt, eggs, quinoa, some brown rice, and just a little soy and seitan. I do use a brown rice protein powder when I need to boost protein (I shoot for around 90g/day). Beans don't agree with me lately but they are great, especially lentils.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian (yet) but I made quinoa the other day that was just fantastic.

I made the organic quinoa as directed on the package - added a drained can of light kidney beans and added some grilled asparagus (chopped up) and onions that I had been preparing for a side dish...

Throw a little avocado on top of that and sprinkle some nuts of your choice and maybe chop up a tomato and you are in heaven!

That sounds really good! Wish I could think up stuff like that!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is amazing for protein and edamame beans too.

Feel free to check my diary for ideas :smile:
  • dawningrid
    dawningrid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a great book that can help its loaded which has a meal plan and recipes with lots of ideas " Easy Veggie Meal Plans Ebook Written By Kardena Pauza" it an ebook so access is instant
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I eat so much Quorn its ridiculous.

I make protein batches and then keep them in the fridge as a go-to source.

I also eat vast amounts of cottage cheese. Mixed up with eggs, in pasta sauces, and in several other things. Its also nice on its own with pepper fresh herbs and lime juice in it.
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk or eat cheese (lactose intolerant) but I can eat Greek yogurt, so I eat that... but yea def beans.. seeds... quinoa... I don't really like nuts so I tend to stay away from them.. but I do have the occasional nut butter (almond or peanut)... and for a protein I use sunwarrior.

I've heard that corn and beans are one of the best combinations :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and the best protein for me is low fat cottage cheese and eggs... I make little quiches out of them. They are low carb, high protein and low fat. I also make a lot of vegetable slices and brown fried rice. I make burgers with my own homemade patties sometimes, or just heap all my favourite veggies with some pizza sauce on it. I also use wraps as pizza bases and low fat cheese for yummy pizzas. Theres also a pretty carby recipe I use when I'm in the mood, its a noodle omlette with all my favourite vegetables.

Grab yourself a good protein powder that has little sugar. I like to mix mine with skim milk and yogurt.. they are high in protein. If you are into beans and lentils, grab some of those. I usually add them to brown rice as I dont like the taste on its own. Invest in peanut butter!!
  • praoenator
    praoenator Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been a life long vegetarian and there are several foods that you can eat Lentils,. nuts, cereals, edamame (soy), low fat milk, Greek Yogurt, Quinoa, cottage cheese, just to name a few. If you like rice, eat the brown variety instead of the white. Being from New Orleans (Geaux Tigers), Mondays are Red Beans and rice days with me. The only difference is, I make it with Brown Rice instead of white. Don't forget Tofu !!!! I saute it, and add it to all the veggies that I make.

You have several choices!!! Enjoy!!!
  • geechegal
    geechegal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The previous replies were great suggestions regarding trying different veggie items. About the eggs........I have found that when I eat the whole egg my stomach grumbles and is not happy, however when I eat just egg whites I feel better. This took some time for me to realize that it was the egg yolks that i was sensitive to. That may be a possibility for you too.