Looking for some advice/encouragement

Options
Hi! I'm looking for some advice and encouragement. My weightloss has completely stalled. I've been on MFP a little over a month, and I started out with MFP's suggested calories and not eating back any exercise calories. I lost about 10 pounds in the first 3 weeks and have been stalled the last two weeks. I started reading all these threads about BMR/TDEE and got confused about whether I was doing the right thing. My overall calorie goal is about the same, but I started eating back some of my exercise calories. I gained about 4 pounds back and am totally frustrated. I have A LOT of weight to lose, and I am definitely in this to make a lifestyle change. I just didn't expect to stall out this soon, and I'd like to get going in the right direction again...

Please look at my diary and give me suggestions. I welcome any and all advice (as long as you're nice about it). Note that I was out of town on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday this week, so those days are not great...

Thanks for stopping by!

Christy

Replies

• sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    you need to open your diary.. :)
  • christykirby
    christykirby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry - fixed it. It's public now. :smile:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you may be underestimating your intake cals and/or overestimating your burns. Try adjusting your calorie allowance down by, let's say 200 cals a day, and see what happens after a couple of weeks.

Also, I haven't seen your diary but how is your sodium intake? If it's high you could be retaining water.
  • adamsunman
    adamsunman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Christy, aside from your diary, how are you planning your weeks. I find that if I don't plan my meals, I'll get home and think 'hhhmn what to have tonight' then have something naughty.

However, if I plan my week, I know what I'm having, I can look forward to it throughout the day, and I don't waiver from my plan. I'd also suggest taking photos of yourself in your underwear, so that every week you can look at the difference and how your body is changing - that's motivation for me, as I look at the old me and think 'Christ, that was horrible'

Looking at your diary, you seem a bit of a sucker for the odd chip (you call them french fries) - Perhaps swap this for some sweet potato, cut into chip size, and bake them with a little cinnamon. It's a carb free replacement without the fat.

I've only looked at the past week, but you seem to have the odd naughty snack here and there too (i.e choc ice and pretzels) Remember that your Ghrelin levels rise by 20% when you are dieting. The university of California recently did a study that suggested that when your tongue tastes fatty food, the Dopamine in your brain gives the signal to keep eating more and more of it.

I know it's tough, but it's all about willpower and resilience. Stick with it, remember why you're doing it, and drink enough water to make you full when you're not eating :)
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I took a quick look at your food diary - one fo the first things that jumped out at me was your carb intake. On all the days I looked at it, you were signifcantly over. It also seemed as though most was coming from "bad carbs". You would be better at trading some of those things for more complex carbs that don't break down in the body as quickly.

For example... switching a white bread for natural whole wheat bread.

Just a thought...
  • neverlost
    neverlost Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Here's what I would do. Drop your calories by a couple hundred, don't eat back your exercise calories, keep your carbs under 100 and watch your sodium, which seems a little high.

Good luck with whatever route you try. :)
  • Linda1028
    Linda1028 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I never eat back any of my exercise calories, it's like I'm putting money into savings instead of checking...less likely to "spend" it if I put it in savings and the "interest" is paid in weight loss. The post on here about planning is an excellent comment, I plan my food for the entire week, shop by it and "live by" it from Friday to Friday, it is probably the single best thing I have done for successful weight loss. I started at 311 year and half ago (before I found MFP, but was doing the planning even then) and am now down to 151 with goal of 141 in sight. You simply will have times when the body does't let go of the weight until it's ready, but it WILL let go.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to be losing a pound a week. You've lost more than 10 pounds in a month. It's hot in much of the country/world. Weight goes up and down with heat/water retention/hormone cycles.

Be patient. It takes time.

Also . . . are you measuring ACCURATELY and reporting EVERYTHING? I just input my dinner. Little things like a glass of skim milk, barbecue sauce, the raisins and green beans on my salad added in almost 200 calories. Who knew? (Besides your scale.)
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do--watch carbs and sodium, drink a lot of water, and don't give up. It'll come off if you stick to 1500-1600 calories. Hang in there--you can do it! :happy:
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I see the following:

1) Too many starchy carbs. Ease up on things like bread and crackers.

2) Not enough protein. You should be having a pretty decent amount with every meal. Protein is in nuts and yogurt and fish - not just meats.

3) Alot of higher glycemic fruits. Skip the bananas, etc. Eat berries instead. Not only do they have tons of nutrients, but they are lower in sugar.

4) You are very light on vegetables. Add some more in that are leafy greens or have higher fiber. Reduce veggies like corn that do almost nothing but spike your blood sugar.
  • Linda1028
    Linda1028 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is interesting comment about the tongue tasting fatty foods and brain wants more...I found, without benefit of the study that to be very true for me, I don't put more than 20% of my daily calories in fat and what I have noticed is that "cravings" of any kind have subsided, nice to see it's "backed up" by science!