Young stroke survivors and exercise.... suggestions needed.

Options
I am only 30 years old and had a stroke recently-- it was related to surgery, as I had no other risk factors. I need some suggestions on exercise, as I am a bit limited right now, I can walk, but slowly and with a cane and my left arm is also paralyzed.I think most of this weight loss is going to be diet and after around 4 months on a feeding tube, I just love eating!

Replies

• mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you came through it. I had one three years ago and I was 42 at the time. Not as young as you. ..
    Do whatever you can. For the most part, people are nice - try to do as much for yourself as you can. Thety are trying to help but it can be enabling. I used to be pretty independant but now I need to ask for help much much more.

I am paralyzed in my left arm and I use a cane too. At first I was in a wheelchair. Just recently I have started to walk as far as I can. For how severe my stroke was, it took that long to work up to that. I have lost almost 40 pounds since January, I have about 45 more to go. It does go slower with diet alone but it can be done!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    Can you do water exercises? Big hugs to both of you, my friend had a stroke when she was in labor with her baby at only 31 years old. It's been 2 years now and she has recovered a lot, how long has it been for you, kbeatty?

Congrats on your weight loss, mphlab!
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks Desiree! Looks like you are doing well too!
  • kbeatty1015
    kbeatty1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind replies. It was one year in August 2012. Things are getting better slowly, but surely. I returned to work full time as a teacher this fall and it is going great so far. If I could get some of this extra weight off, I would feel even better!
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    Mine was 8 Dec 2012, I was 49 years old, quite a bit older than you. I am getting somewhere now, I already had embarked on weight loss and was only 15lb from my goal!! It happened for 'no reason'!! I didn't have any risk factors either and was the fittest I had ever been in my life.
    I was already an active member at my local gym, the trainers were fantastic..... my husband/son would drive me there and the trainers would help me with the bike, it was easy to do as my right foot pedalled the bike and my left foot 'followed'. This helped to re build some of the wasted muscle and before long, I was able to go greater distances and higher resistance. I also used the rowing machine and some of the combined resistance weights, predominately with my right side leading, over time, my left side responded. The progress has been remarkable. I know I will never get the feeling back on my left side, however, with increase in muscle, I have much better control!!
    good luck on your journey.... be realistic as to what you want to achieve then when you get there, set new small goals!!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, water activities can be great, because you don't have gravity pulling down your weaker arm.
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    wondering how all you guys are doing? time has moved on here... interested on what is happening in everyones lives. Hope you are all progressing x
  • LauraMN
    LauraMN Posts: 2
    Options
    When I read you are back teaching I was so inspired. What food news! You may not see me as young but I was only 58 when I had my stroke, busy teaching and loving life . My stroke was caused by an AVM - an arteriovenous malformation. I guess I was born with it. So now, since the stroke 15 months ago, I am learning to walk, keep my balance, build up my muscles and use my arm again. I hope to go back to teaching next fall. I have to take a nuero-psychology test before my dr. signs off on my return to work. Also I have to make it back before my medical leave runs out. I know you are much younger but how hard was it to go back to work? I hear the tiredness doesn't go away. Also, I have about 40 # to lose and it's hard when I am home all day! Like you, I need exercise ideas.Our community does have a therapy pool and I use that, practicing walking and using arm paddles for resistance. I use a resistance band while sitting to work on arm muscles and leg muscles. I do push outs at the wall and bridges on the bed. I haven't tried to get on the floor to work yet.
  • CarolinaBeachGirl2
    CarolinaBeachGirl2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    February 2005 was my unexplained stroke at the age of 34. It was a struggle back but I have learned so much about myself and the people around me. I was in physical theraphy for 9 months and had GREAT therapist. Use them as much as you can they are a great resource. I still refer back to my exercise book. My strength on the left side still is not as strong as I want but thankful I have use of it. I love doing Julliann Michaels videos because of the wide range of motion for the upper body. Sometimes I use 3, 5 or no weight at all just depends on the move. Swimming pool was good if I floated on my back due to range of motion in the shoulder. Lots of snow angles in the water. My balance is awful but I laugh it off as my left foot muscles never came back. Any suggestions for that?

Seven years later and still get tired but not giving up.