4 years ago

Options
4 years ago i took a big risk that had a lot of side effects including death. i had gastric bypass surgery to help me lose weight!! it was definitely the biggest choice that ive ever made. and although there are some annoying things that come along with this surgery in the long run, i'm happy i did it !! i'm happy i did it for a few reasons: 1..and main reason, to lose weight and be healthy!! 2..it made me realize that i can do anything I put my mind to. all i needed was the help to make not alot of food go in my stomach!! 3..i learned alot on how to eat healthy and what is good for you to do and what is not. It's not a good choice for everyone though !! some people aren't healthy enough to get this surgery !! I had to go to a lot of pre-op appointments to prove to everyone involved in my surgery that it's a medical reason I haven't lost weight !! I went on weight watchers, jenny craig, i tried nutri system, and the most i've ever lost was 35 lbs, which i was very proud of myself for but, that's all I would lose and it wasn't enough !!! so when i turned 22, I had the surgery!! I had to be on a liquid diet, I had to only eat purade foods, and it wasn't fun !! But I'm glad I did it and succeeded because now I am 165 lbs as opposed to 304 lbs. I was very proud of myself and I thought I looked fantastic, until now !! I've dealt with my extra skin, and I'm not allowed to have surgery to remove it, so I'm just going to try and get rid of as much as I can ON MY OWN!!! My doctor says if I didn't have my extra skin, then I would be the average weight I am supposed to be, which is 150 lbs. I hate my extra skin and living with it makes me so mad at myself that i was so overweight to begin with !! but i look past that sometimes and say to myself, at least I'm not unhealthy anymore !!!

Replies

• moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Congrats for taking on losing the weight. You are so young your skin will probably bounce back. Good luck!
  • jana372
    jana372 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome weight loss. I'm just wondering why you are unable to have skin removal surgery (if it's not a personal reason)?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a bunch about how to get rid of the extra skin after significant weight loss. Stay hydrated.. lots of water, lotions and then muscle. Build muscle. At your age, it's possible to avoid surgery and get the elasticity back. I an in my 40's and have had 3 kids. i'm not so sure, but it is definitely going down!

Good luck. Stay true and you will succeed in what ever you do.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Loosing 140 pounds is an amazing success - that is almost an entire person!!!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you did it too! I hope your much happier now, and continue to keep your weight under control. Congrats and a big hug from me! :flowerforyou: One of my close friend had the surgery 3 years ago, she was almost 500 pounds, she has now lost about 300 pounds and I couldn't be more happier for her
  • croberson8711
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss!! That is fantastic! Second, that's something I'm terrified of as well, excess skin. I feel like that would make me just as self conscious, and surgery is sooo expensive!
  • WendyA1119
    WendyA1119 Posts: 53
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing change towards a better you.

Wendy
  • debbiedoo1986
    debbiedoo1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats for taking on losing the weight. You are so young your skin will probably bounce back. Good luck!

Thankyou :) i hope it eventually will !!
  • debbiedoo1986
    Options
    Congratulations on your awesome weight loss. I'm just wondering why you are unable to have skin removal surgery (if it's not a personal reason)?

the insurance won't approve it because they don't think it's a good enough medical reason.
  • debbiedoo1986
    Options
    thankyou everyone :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!