Cholesterol ???

tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
What is the Normal amount of Cholesterol for a women who's 5'5 and weighs 163lbs ??? I think im might be going way over on it and i want to know what's the normal amount please so i can fix it..

Replies

• jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    "Normal" is different for everyone.

It's important to keep your cholesterol levels within healthy limits. And if you have other risk factors for developing heart disease, you need to be even more careful — especially with your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol level. Your TOTAL cholesterol should ideally be below 200. If your good (HDL) cholesterol is high, you may be ok over 200. Most people should aim for an LDL level below 130. If you have other risk factors for heart disease, your target LDL may be below 100. If you're at very high risk of heart disease, you may need to aim for an LDL level below 70.

*Note: These levels are milligram (mg) U.S. measurements.

So who's considered at very high risk? If you've had a heart attack or if you have diabetes or carotid or peripheral vascular disease, you're at very high risk. In addition, two or more of the following risk factors might also place you in the very high risk group:
    ■Smoking
    ■High blood pressure
    ■Low HDL cholesterol
    ■Family history of early heart disease
    ■Age older than 45 if you're a man, or older than 55 if you're a woman
    ■Elevated lipoprotein (a)

Being overweight and inactive tends to increase your LDL cholesterol and lower your HDL cholesterol, exactly the opposite of what you want. Exercise and weight loss can help reverse this trend. This is especially important for people who have large waist measurements — more than 40 inches for men and more than 35 inches for women — because people with this body shape are more likely to develop heart disease.

A blood test to check cholesterol levels — called a lipid panel or lipid profile — typically reports:
    ■Total cholesterol
    ■HDL cholesterol
    ■LDL cholesterol
    ■Triglycerides, a type of fat often increased by sweets and alcohol
    For the most accurate measurements, don't eat or drink anything (other than water) for nine to 12 hours before the blood sample is taken.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    The American Heart Association recommends no more than 300mg per day, and no more than 200mg per day if you have heart disease.

# Saturated fat (the kind that is solid at room temperature) intake should be less than 10% of calories.

# Polyunsaturated fat (liquid at room and refrigerator temperatures) intake should be 8% to 10% of calories.

# Monounsaturated fat (olive and canola oil) intake should make up the rest of total fat intake (about 10% to 15% of total calories).

# Cholesterol intake should be less than 300 milligrams daily.

# Sodium intake should be no more than 2,400 milligrams daily.

from: http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/lowercholesterol/LC_plans.html
  • tammietifanie
    Wow i just look at my Food report for the week and a normal day im having up to 800 mg but i eat 3 eggs for breakfast and that right there was over 600mg ...
    Now im wondering how do i reduce that to 300 mg a day...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Cholesterol is only found it foods that originate from animals. Trans fat also increases cholesterol. I eat an egg nearly every day, but very rarely more than that (ie: an omelette). My husband, whose Dr. has instructed him to eat a low cholesterol diet, eats the "Eggstirs" product instead of whole eggs. It's mostly just egg whites, and has zero cholesterol (or fat).
  • tammietifanie
    I'll have to start eating eggs whites
This discussion has been closed.