Yes I'm 260 does 1200 calorie diet work!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just entered my info into the BMR calculator in the tools section and my daily calories to maintain are 1556.
    I am 5 feet 6 inches tall and 187. Hope that helps and feel free to add me as a friend for support!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    First off - you have made a huge decision and I'm sure we are all here to support you and are proud of you for making it. Secondly - I was 265 and the dietician I met with told me 1400 was good for me. I know a lot of people on here thought even 1400 was too low for me and so I met with her again and she still encouraged me to use 1400. Do you have insurance through your job or perhaps a health coach available to you through insurance that you can call on even if its only once? You may be surprised to find you do have that option. If not, I believe 1200-1400 is doable. It's difficult but doable. The first few weeks I went to bed many nights pissed off because I was out of calories :) Now I almost always have them left over. When I first started I was walking to the pond in my neighborhood and back. Now I walk about 1.12 miles and can ride my bike for 6-7 miles. This did not happen over night. Learn to read food labels and portion sizes. It's really important to get your protein in daily and you won't be as hungry. Good luck to you and stay strong!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    pshhhh 1200 is fine, I started at 1000 and it was fine. You will have to see what works for you. Try the 1200 for a month or so and see what happens. You may be someone who can lose with the have more weigh less crew but you will never know until you start somewhere. I started with 1000 and no exercise just because my work hours was nuts. Now that I'm not working I exercise a lot more. Speaking of which I need to go walk the basement stairs since I didn't go to the gym today.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ok can someone help me too because now I'm confused. I'm at 284 right now and the goals they set for me where 2400 but for the last 3 months that seems like too much. After I had my daughter my doctor put me on a prescription to lower my blood sugar (I had gd while pregnant) but it speeds up my metabolism so I don't eat nearly half as much as I used to. And I'm constantly getting the starvation mode warning...what would be the right way to change my settings to something more suiting for me? I'm really pretty new to this stuff and I really want to do it right. Oh, and feel free to add me, everyone can use some support :smile:
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200, but I was just too hungry. I'm feeling good and losing consistently at 1400 - that's less than a half a pound of difference a week and I'm so much more willing to stick with it than I was at 1200 (I'm 150 lbs, so you may need even more than that to feel good on a daily basis). Don't be afraid to up the calories if you don't feel that you're getting enough to eat - this does not happen overnight and it's not healthy to try to make it.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

My advice to you would be to take that number and subtract -500 calories per pound you want to lose per week. I wouldn't advise going below 60-70% of your TDEE, though, to ensure you are getting adequate nutrition.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you here Rita.
    Just read up on and follow the MFP recommendations; eat lean meats, low fat dairy, whole grains, nuts, fruits and veggies.
    Simple!
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    And this"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    It's your health; success is a choice.
    You can do this.Good Luck :flowerforyou:
    ALL IS POSSIBLE
  • kimby57
    kimby57 Posts: 11
    Options
    1200 seems low, I started on 1/30 at 235 lbs and around 1400 cals and have lost 37 lbs at nice enough pace to keep me motivated. :drinker:
  • JeriAnn11
    JeriAnn11 Posts: 1
    Options
    So this is my first post but i just wanted to throw this out there, i started at 290 two weeks ago, i'm 5'7, i have been aiming at 2000 calorie diet (usually hitting a little below on what i am actually eating, and some days going over ;) ) and light exercise and i have already lost 6 lbs. I am sure later i will have to reduce the calories but just writing down and being accountable at first will probably give you some results! i know it has been for me! One day i really just ate whatever i wanted and i ate 2900 calories!! So writing down and realizeing what i had already consumed and thinking before i ate something is it really worth those calories did alot!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Ok can someone help me too because now I'm confused. I'm at 284 right now and the goals they set for me where 2400 but for the last 3 months that seems like too much. After I had my daughter my doctor put me on a prescription to lower my blood sugar (I had gd while pregnant) but it speeds up my metabolism so I don't eat nearly half as much as I used to. And I'm constantly getting the starvation mode warning...what would be the right way to change my settings to something more suiting for me? I'm really pretty new to this stuff and I really want to do it right. Oh, and feel free to add me, everyone can use some support :smile:

I get that to but choose to ignore it. I'd say change it to suit you and your needs
  • Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend the group on MyFitnessPal called Eat more to lose More, plus using the calculator at WWW.scoobysworkshop.com its under tools - calorie calculator.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    When I first started here they put me on 1200 calories and I lost a few pounds but then I didn't lose anything for over a month.
    I upped my calories to 1380 and still wasn't losing.
    I then upped my calories to 1500 and started losing again.
    If you don't lose anything at 1200 try upping your calories.
    You have to find what works for you.
  • ambermb97
    ambermb97 Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh 140 and it started me off with 1200 calories a day. You might want to go up to 1600-1800, then as you start losing weight start lowering it down. I hope this helps you out :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    nice thread dig