What to eat when fast food/eating out is your only option?

Options
What do you all eat when you're traveling and fast food/eating out is all you have?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    fast food, I guess.
    :)

(it isn't the devil. just make smart decisions based on calories and macros, make it fit and enjoy.)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Veggie burger at BK or 7 Layer Burrito at Taco Bell with no cheese/sour cream. Those are the best vegetarian options (that include some protein) I have been able to find.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is really no more excuses for fast food when travelling or just running low on time. almost every gas station has nuts, yogurt, beef jerky, cheese, etc. these arent always the best choices but they sure do beat McDonalds by a mile
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most fast food places offer salads and fruit now so it makes it a lot easier
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    2 mcdoubles, no bread, no ketchup.
    add mayo, extra pickle, on a bed of shredded lettuce.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I try to not get in that situation. I pack food and bring it with me. The few times I've ended up in that situation, I've searched out a salad bar. Pizza Hut does a an ok job for lunch, and it's only $5! And, the water is free! :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    2 mcdoubles, no bread, no ketchup.
    add mayo, extra pickle, on a bed of shredded lettuce.

junk meat and junk cheese and a bunch of napkins to wipe up the greasy goo.

you are better off going into a gas station and getting a bag of almonds and a stick of beef jerky
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,589 Member
    Options
    Here are my usual picks if I get in that situation. I also find that if every few months I go online and double check the menu and nutrition info for my local fast food places. They all tend to adjust and put out new items or stats they've changed. Sometimes they add stuff or options and don't advertise it... Hardee's has options listed on the nutritional that isn't really on the menu.

Chick-Fil-A - grilled chicken sandwich, grilled chicken nuggets, chicken noodle soup, chargrilled salad, light italian dressing, fruit cup, yogurt cup, multigrain oatmeal

McDonald's - Grilled Chicken Salad, Grilled chicken sandwich w/o the bun

Popeye's - grilled chicken tenders, green beans & a baguette (it's the new luex meals or something like that)

Wendy's - salads are pretty good

Pizza - get thin crust w/ veggies and half cheese

KFC - grilled chicken breast is pretty good
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    If one must resort to FF.....most if not all FF places have nutrition info available so you can always check that before you order anything.

Grilled chicken, no sauce, no bun (had one today on lettuce as the bread)
    Salad (no croutons, lowest dressing you can find and don't dump it on the food, dip fork tines into it, then into the food)
    Stay away from breaded, fried foods.
    Baked potato plain (had one today with chives & one of the lite butter they offered)
    Panda Express have a few dishes that they consider lighter in calories (Beef w/broccoli is one)
    Subway also offers lighter sandwiches and anything can be made into a salad (careful on sauce/dressings/croutons)
    Long John Silver offers baked fish (stay away from fried, hushpuppies and cole slaw)
    Taco Bell offers a fresco menu.

Just be an informed eater and do your homework before you walk in (all places have nutrition info online) or you'll be in for a rude awakening when you log your meals.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    What do you all eat when you're traveling and fast food/eating out is all you have?

Taco Bell's Fresco menu seems to be the leanest fast food out there (very tasty, too).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Salads, sandwiches, Chipotle bowls.

A lot of places print nutrition facts now, so just choose what's best. :)
  • sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options
    Subway fresh fit choices are good. Also chic-fil-a has some good options because it's all chicken. Fazoli's has 3 good under 400cal options as well.

Honestly though, when I travel I like to bring my own food packed in little baggies (breads, cereals, fruits, drinks, everything I possibly can)
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I bought a backpack cooler from Target and take it everywhere so I always have at least water and good snacks. When that runs out, I hit places that sell salads or Subway because they always have decent options.
  • cherylmonson
    Options
    I normally get a kids meal with water or sometimes if they have a baked potato I'll get that. I find the salads normally a waste of my time because they are usually just lettuce.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I posted this somewhere else but you can kind of 'plan ahead' with this: http://www.nutritionix.com/restaurants

I also try to get simple burgers without bacon or cheese, and in restaurants, anything from the 'lean' or 'senior' menu. If no lean menu, go for chicken (they usually always serve breasts) or fish, just be careful on how is fish prepared first.
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell. 1 chicken taco fresco style and a side of pintos and cheese= 320 calories, 33 g. carbs, 10 g. fat, 21 g. protein, 10 g. fiber, 580 sodium. Very satisfying.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    McDonalds S.W salad w/o the chicken.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    There's are some books that can suggest items to eat if fast food is your only option. I especially like "The 400 Calorie Fix." And, "Eat This, Not That" is also helpful.

Both address buying takeout or restaurant food.

I like the chicken burrito supreme (fresco) at Taco Bell along with a side of guacamole and a regular size Cherry Limeade.

Panera bread has lemon orzo soup for only 120 calories or so, and their iced tea (small) has 100 calories. Depending on your day, you can also order 1/2 a sandwich and probably still stay within your limits. They also offer chips, bread, or an apple as an option with your meal. So you can order the apple and eat it then, or later.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    subway or a local grocery salad bar.

never need to accept the excuse of "I had to go to a ff joint"
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i like nandos or a kebab house.
    chicken breast, with salad, in a pitta bread.