Workout to get lean.

Options
I stalled using just cardio to lose weight and ended up around 175-180. I decided to incorporate some weight lifting to put on lean muscle. Only, instead of losing weight, I began to put on more. I want some tips to use weight lifting to slim down and have a lean body, not larger.

Ive been doing weights on different days, pretty much an upper body, lower body, and abs rotation. (with some stretching exercises on abs days)
- Ive been doing like 20-25 min of cardio everyday. (Speed and incline are about 4.2mph and max incline).
-Ive been trying to keep net calories around 1500-1600 per day.
- Ive been trying to eat between 125-150g of protein a day, whole grains, fruits, light cheeses, and drink lots of water.

After all this, I've been putting on weight! Any help of what I can do specifically to slim down yet put on muscle and get toned? Thanks guys.

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I definitely believe in strength training to cut the fat....
  • goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Simply put, muscle weighs more than fat. :D
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    lighter weights - more reps = lean and cutting

heavy resulting in lower reps = mass

if you hit a plat on cardio, shake it up so DIFFERENT cardio - rower, bike... if its all the same, your body will adapt and slow to it.
  • Aurora76
    Aurora76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Muscle may weigh more but it is also smaller and tighter. It's a myth that strength training will bulk you up. It will slim you down and once you lose the fat on top of it you will see.