Bob vs. Jillian

Options
So about a month ago I completed the 30 Day Shred, had ok results, nothing spectacular. I've been out of state for a little over a month and am finally back home and able to get back into my routine...luckily I only gained a pound or two while away (I was very afraid it would be way worse).

Since we just got back I've decided that Monday I will start my new workout routine. My plan is to work out Monday through Friday with weekends off. I just purchased an extreme cardio for maximum burn DVD (from Biggest Loser) that I plan on doing MWF and I have a cardio express DVD from Beachbody I plan on doing the other two days. I've only watched/previewed these workouts. I'm going to give them a try first.

My question is that I've heard a lot about Bob Harper (trainer from BL) lately. His training style is different than Jillian's in a lot of ways. A lot of her stuff is a shorter workout, which is great for the stay at home mom that I am, but I want serious results. The 30 Day Shred was good, but it advertises so much on losing so much weight and that just didn't happen with me (and I was committed with both the workout everyday and my food). Bob Harper's workouts range from 45-60 min and I've heard great things. I guess I just want to know if there's anyone who has done his workouts and what you think...compared to Jillian. I've been back and forth about purchasing Ripped in 30 by Jillian or some of Bob's extreme weightloss DVD's.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think Jillian has tougher workouts that 30DS, so if you like her style, Ripped In 30 would be great for you (and I think it's a better workout than 30DS). I've done a few of Bob's workouts too, and he is TOUGH! Not sure if it was just because I am used to Jillian's workouts, or what, but he does push you hard and his workouts are longer.

Check your local library & see if they have any Bob or Jillian workouts you can check out. I went online & had to request some from other branches, but it's a great way to try out a workout for a week before buying it!
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I think they are both terrific and I also just started ChaLean extreme for more weight based working out.

JM DVDs that I love: 30DS, Ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack, No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Kickboxing (I do not like Extreme Shed and Shred)

Bob Harper--I think his workouts are great and I love his style. He is great at pushing you and has a good sense of humor. I do not like the ones that are in biggest loser sets. I think the inside out series are great, also the strength one is excellent, body transformation is excellent.

It is nice to mix them up for variety and they are all well priced, in my opinion. Amazon also has a lot of these available used.

good luck!!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have both trainers in my DVD collection and go back and forth with them. When I want a long and more difficult workout I do a Bob DVD (he is tough) I like having options :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper is better about demonstrating proper form. Jillian is known for using very poor form on her videos (the worst is her shred it with weight kettlebell dvd).
  • Bethyvm
    Bethyvm Posts: 8
    Options
    I prefer Bob's workouts to Jillians. I have Season 1 of TBL dvd and love it.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Bob Harper is better about demonstrating proper form. Jillian is known for using very poor form on her videos (the worst is her shred it with weight kettlebell dvd).

Really? I am wondering that as I've real trouble with my knees since doing 30 Day Shred. She doesn't really explain the form very well. I also have 10 minute workout with Cindy Whitmarsh and I find her explanations much better, e.g, making sure your weight is on your heels whilst doing squats, lunges etc...
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am on my last day of Ripped in 30 tomorrow. I started it two weeks after finishing 30 Day Shred and I have had WAY better results with Ripped in 30. I definitely recommend it! I like to think that 30 day shred got me prepared for ripped in 30.