Oatmeal Issue!

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
When I go to cook oatmeal in the microwave it overflows out of the bowl and into the microwave what is up with that?

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Try using a deeper bowl? Or lower the cooking power and increase the cooking time.
  • JMommy03
    JMommy03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just stand in front of my microwave and when it starts to overflow i stop it! I use to have to clean up messy oatmeal all the time so now i watch!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I put mine in my big 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup - one serving rises to the top, but doesn't spill over. :tongue:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    just cook it on the stove. it's easier and cleaner.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I use a deep bowl.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    another vote for the stove here
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    i only microwave the milk or water. i make that really hot then add it to the bowl of oatmeal.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I also use a deep bowl. But you could also just heat the water in the microwave in a Pyrex measuring cup and then pour that over the dry oatmeal and stir!
  • CaptJan
    CaptJan Posts: 2
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen and what a sticky mess! I have found if I only nuke it for 2 minutes then stir it and then 30 seconds more it is fine. Good luck!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Do shorter time periods on cooking, stir, continue cooking another 30 seconds to min, stir, cook, etc until finished. Always worked for me. Just took a bit longer.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do shorter time periods on cooking, stir, continue cooking another 30 seconds to min, stir, cook, etc until finished. Always worked for me. Just took a bit longer.

^^this^^ - it's expanding air, so you have to break it up.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    You kind of have to just babysit it, and when it starts to puff up, stop it for a few seconds and keep microwaving in intervals until the full time is up. I left my oatmeal unattended in the break room microwave at work once, and what a nasty mess!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

I don't want to sound "trolly" but for all the effort one has to do to get it right in a microwave, it is far quicker to just do it on the stove.

I mean, really, how long does it take to boil a couple cups of water, max? and then, what, 1 minute of cook time? And no pesky microwaves going into your eyeballs and penetrating your skin and all that weird stuff that microwaves do?

For the same amount of time and way less effort, you can have a bowl of deliciously home-cooked-on-a-stove meal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    4 cup pyrex measuring cup or bowl. Add water & oatmeal, stir, put in micro, push 2 minutes, walk away. Come back at the beep, stir, cook 2 minutes longer, done. Much faster than cooking it on the stove. Plus I'd rather put the pyrex in my dishwasher than hand wash my stainless pot & lid. :tongue:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I use my keurig. It works wonder, just make sure no coffee K cup is in it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I cook it for a minute, then stir it, then cook it one minute more, then stir, then cook for 30 second increments until it reaches the desired consistency.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I use a deep 4 cup serving bowl. It will boil up to about an inch from the top but will not boil over.
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys!! I think I will try just heating the water up next time.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I just heat the water. If you do it in the microwave be careful, it could splatter when you open the door, so give it a minute before you take it out. I've never had an issue doing it that way. At work we have a hot water spout in our cooler and a Keurig, which both work well.