copper iud

Options
Hello all.
Ok so I have not been on here for a while. I was on a lot at one point. I was doing everything necessary to lose weight. I ran, for 45min, did weights, and was eating under 1200 calories. If I burned 400 calories working out I would tack that on to the 1200, so I would eat 1600 calories. Then I still wasnt really losing anyting. So then I read that maybe I was putting my body into starvation mode. So I increased my calorie intake.
So I only lost a few pounds. It didnt make any sense, for everything I was doiing to lose. I got fustrated and went on the almased protien shakes. Still not much. Still had that ungly pouch of fat in my lower belly (i still do btw)
My husband then started to get mad and believed I was having an afair. He stated there was no way I had been going to the gym for 6 months and still look the same. He told me to do a crunch in front of him. yes. This caused a huge arguement. He said I looked the same. My feelings were very hurt, and I felt ugly and fat. The problem was i felt like he was just being mean, when i didnt really listen to what he was telling me. He said there is something wrong with your body. I interpreted it differently (woman). I know now that there was something wrong with my body. No matter what I did, these last few pounds were not going to come off. So I thought to myself " what is different from before I had my daughter, what am I doing different??" I was eating the same way I did before my daughter when I was 123 pounds. I was working out the same.......what could it be??.......hmmm
OH wait, the only thing different is my paragaurd, the copper iud. I thought to myself " but thats hormone free, that could not cause weight gain...or could it?" I started doing my research. Let me say that it has been out since monday, and my husband says he already is noticing a difference in my stomach, and I did not ask him, he just told me.
my ears stop ringing
Im not so fatigue
Im not so fustrated and irratated
I dont feel all doom and gloom
I feel more optomistic
I am able to run five miles now
My weird dry spots on my ankles and knees have dissappeared.
Im just happy, plain and simple.
I read a lot of negative things about that IUD. I am glad it is out. Condoms are in!
My mom had even said that my body shape was changing and thought it was cause of my age, but she was still confused as to why my general shap was changing.
I will keep you posted of my weight loss.

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Glad you figured out the issue!!
  • BonnieDLG
    BonnieDLG Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks. it took a long time for me to figure it out.
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How strange. I've had a copper iud for 3 years now. I've only been trying to lose weight for the last year and the only time I stopped losing was when I was doing too much cardio and not logging my food to make sure I ate enough.

I'm glad taking it out worked for you though =)
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    too much cardio?? yeah well I am at a standstill. I always look bloated not matter what i do. I remember when I was younger getting the shot, and I gained a ton of weight on that as well. I think all our bodies responsed in there own way. For me, it seems any birth control I try, I gain. so a no can do for me! I want to be 122 and I am 132. Its crazy. Its the only thing different from when I was my desired weight.
    The cramps were pretty bad also. But meds took care of that. I can think more clearly now also. Im glad it works for you though. I wish it had for me as well. Really i do. But Im to concerned with my weight lol
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah. there was a month and a half where I completely stopped losing. I was going to the gym 5-6 times a week and just running for an hour or more. I got lazy with my logging and wasn't really eating as much as I should. I finally decided that I was tired of what I was doing and started the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I love lifting heavy weights! I've only lost about 4 pounds since I started lifting a month ago, but I've made huge improvements in the amount of weight I can lift and have lost several inches off my waist, hips, thighs, and calves. I eat about 2000 calories on days I don't lift, and 2300 on days that I do and I'm still losing. I'm happier eating more and pushing myself hard. I really don't care if it takes me longer to lose the next 60 pounds. ^_^
  • BonnieDLG
    Options
    oh wow. I got up to 138, and did everything finaly got down to 132 but nothing was budging for me. Hope I start losing soon. You will get there!
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have it and I love it! (sosososos much) Is it possible that you have a copper allergy ?
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for you. Ive had mine for about 5 years and I freakin love the thing. I will never use any other form of birth control.

ETA: I find it very hard to believe that 5 days after you take your IUD out, your body magically shapeshifts into what your husband believes to be better. Sounds like he should join you at the gym.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    That is so weird about your paraguard ! I loved mine until I got pregnant and that along with cramping during ovulation were my only complaints. I am thinking about getting it again since I am so sick of condoms! I am glad you feel better though and there is such a thing as too much cardio, believe it or not!

And I'm not really sure why her husband sounded like an *kitten*?! That one kind of blew my mind a little!
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like an *kitten*.

this, and i have the copper iud, and i love it. havent had any issue with it at all
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree. Where is the love, support and trust?
  • krisleve
    krisleve Posts: 7
    Options
    wow I thought I was the only one who had issues with the copper iud. It worked ok at first then I started having my period for 2 weeks out of EVERY month. I also gained weight that I could not lose. I just had mine removed 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier! I know only have my period for 4-5 days at the most.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience with the copper iud as well. If you google it, there are a lot of women who have.

I had mine out, and I'm glad.

Glad you feel better!
  • elektra1003
    Options
    I had the mirena iud and gained 20 pounds in three months. After having it taken out, my doctor said to not expect weight loss until I have had a normal period for three months. Hopefully I can start losing soon, on the bright side I stopped gaining as soon as it was out.

I understand the frustration. I started a new workout and diet regime in November, and just gained weight. I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw photos of myself.

Good luck and I hope I have the same success :)
  • rformigoni
    Options
    I am so glad I came across this, I have been stuck at 138 since I had my IUD i have gained a couple pounds, than lost them, but my scale will not go below 138 I count my calories I eat healthy for the most part, but I cannot loose the weight its very depressing I have an appt to remove my IUD in just a couple of hours..
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hmm, glad you think its helping. I've had my paragard in for almost a year now and have lost almost 70 lbs. No problems with it here. And yes, your husband seems like a jerk.
  • haza_111
    haza_111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had mine out today....i experience the same problems as you..there is some studies on this problem, especially in athletic women. I am happy it is out and hopefully i will return to the old me. i gave it a fair run, a whole year! when the doctor finally offered me anti depressants for my continuous visits to her....I just replied with "please remove the IUD"...the most frustrating thing was the stubborn weight gain and fatigue, when you are a nutritionist and you cant loose weight it makes you feel like your knowledge isn't good!
  • jenniferdonoghue56
    jenniferdonoghue56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I am so happy I found this thread I could cry!
    I have always have problems with any hormonal contraceptive and had a copper coil years ago which suited me ok.

I had it out about 10 years ago and have had 2 kids but I have always had all sorts of problems with periods etc and this has got worse over recent years and I have also lost 2 babies both at 14 weeks when I had to go through labour and birth due to fatal abnormalities of my babies.

After the second one I got a copper coil fitted again - I thought it would be a good long term solution as I didn't want to get pregnant again until we got to the bottom of why this happened.

I got it fitted 12 months ago. Since then I have put on about 2 stone, exercise doesn't seem to do anything. Don't get me wrong I have overeaten through depression and expected to gain a little weight but I have been so so good for about 6 weeks and nothing has happened. All the weight is on my tummy and my boobs. I have lost count of the amount of people who have asked me when the baby is due.

My periods last for 10 days and are ridiculously heavy - I fill the heaviest flow tampons every 20 minutes at its peak.
    And I find when I exercise that I get pain like period pain and my boobs go sore.

I thought I was a freak and that there was something wrong with me until reading this. I had worked it down to the fact that it could only be the copper coil but thought this would be impossible as its not hormonal.

I have wondered if the exercise causes the coil to move which causes period like pains and sets off my hormones which then makes my boobs sore?? Im not a doctor but that's the only thing that makes any sense to me. I have had pains for 3 days now and have done lots more exercise this week so I came on line to see if there was anyone else who experienced what I am.

I had already been to see the doctors and got blood tests and an ultrasound coming up but I am definitely going to get this thing out. If it doesn't work then its another thing eliminated on the path to finding out why I cant lose weight. But I have a funny feeling that it will help...