What kind of protein should Women take?

Options
2»

Replies

• rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    There is protein in all vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. According to the China Study, the healthiest people have an intake of 5 to 10% of their calories from protein. Protein from animals and dairy has a high association to an increase in breast cancer according to the China study. Whey protein is a waste product from the cheese industry.
    There's a lot of financial interest in selling the public protein supplements.

Please don't associate not getting enough calories with protein deficiency. If you're getting enough calories, you're getting enough protein.

Take a look at all these "unhealthy" people who get about 10% of their calories from protein...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o

Good luck in your journey...
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt - I usually buy Chobani 0% fat or Fage 0% fat. Really high in protein and pretty versatile. You can use it as a substitute for sour cream or eat it sweetened - with fruit or honey. Also, I love cottage cheese. Nice because they both contain calcium which is beneficial.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Take a look at all these "unhealthy" people who get about 10% of their calories from protein...
    Those people all look very skinny. Sure, you can do lots of exercises on such a diet but fast-acting energy is what you need for high intensity exercise, so carbs are ideal.

Just my 20p.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Increased soy intake in women increases our risk of breast cancer due to it mimicking estrogen in your system...... not the good estrogen. (There are different types) If you want the full science behind this, and there have been numerous studies published in respectable journals, you can Google search it.

Whey is best. I use Jarrow and get it from Vitacost.com, who I have found to be the cheapest course.

Now, do you need it? Are you lifting heavy? Are you training very hard in cardio, so as to break down muscle and need to build it back up? If either is the case, you should be taking in 1.2-1.5g of protein per Kg of body mass (this is for athletes - not for just moderate exercise). If you are are exercising moderately, 0.8g per kg is sufficient. Remember, you can take in too much protein, if it goes unused.

In my opinion, the more you can get from whole foods, the better: lean meats, fish, tuna, shrimp, nuts, nut butters, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, peas and beans, cottage cheese, chocolate milk (<~~~ found to be great for recovery after a work out and will boost your protein intake and perfect during pregnancy). :)

Also, if there is a day you are a little low in your protein requirements, try some frozen greek yogurt (nice treat) topped with fresh berries or chopped nuts and also Luna Protein Bars are delish!! :)

Good luck!
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    o.o

Women need different protein?

No!
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    Those people all look very skinny. Sure, you can do lots of exercises on such a diet but fast-acting energy is what you need for high intensity exercise, so carbs are ideal.

Just my 20p.

Interesting evaluation.
    So, do you see this guy as skinny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbEUHCU_GtM

Just curious... :)
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    Since you are concerned about becoming pregnant, it seems like real food would make you feel more comfortable. The two highest protein sources in my diet daily are cottage cheese and Fage Greek yogurt. I also eat lean meat, eggs, string cheese and beans. I feel so much better eating a high protein, moderate fat (good fats) diet. I used to eat to many carbs. I still eat carbs, but the good kind, like 100% stone ground whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of whey protein but I have heard some people don't. Not sure what to think of soy. I saw Jillian Michaels on the Doctors saying basically to stay away from it if you're a woman because of something to do with hormones I think but then Dr. Oz said it was best if you want to keep your curves so I'm quite confused.
    Aside from supplement confusion I get my protein from greek yogurt, cottage cheese and chicken. Feels like all I eat.
    I don't know what Jillian michaels said, but I have a thyroid condition and soy will interfere with my medicine. I stay away from soy also because of the estrogen factor. Soy is in many processed foods especially protein bars.
    Good luck to you.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Interesting evaluation.
    So, do you see this guy as skinny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbEUHCU_GtM

Just curious... :)
    Nope, but then one of the first things he covers is his primary source of protein.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    o.o

Women need different protein?

No!

This is kinda why I asked. I don't get the question and wonder if the OP had some specific problems that need addressing?
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your feedback. You have helped a ton w/info on what works for you and what will help me attain more protein. I like the idea of the rice protein for no GMO's and easier to break down. I didn't know that was available! I don't want to take soy due to the risk that it may affect pregnancy hormones. My husband and I have a garden, I eat lots of fruits/veggies. I just often times get sick of eating the same things over and over again to try to get protein and avoiding meats when I can. Thanks again!!!