Chip time vs clock time

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
I ran a 5K this past week (you can read about the chaos here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/647785-the-5k-that-almost-wasn-t), and just found my official results online.

Chip time: 30:26
Clock time: 31:51

I was way in the back of the pack when the race started, so didn't cross the start line for a bit..... So does that mean my actual race time is the chip time? I would be much happier with that time (heck, I'm happy I made it to the race!).

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I always go by chip time because it's from the time you cross the start line to the time you cross the finish line.

If I understand correctly, the clock time is from when the clock starts to when you cross the finish line.

So if you start at the back of the pack, and say there's hundreds of people, it may be a minute or two before you hit the 'start' line.

Edit:
    I shouldn't say 'always'... since I've only done 1 5k, lol. But it makes much more sense to me to go by the chip time.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That does make sense. I'm usually closer to the front of the pack and have my GPS watch with me, but due to the craziness before the race I forgot my watch and had to start at the back, behind a bunch of walkers.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Did you run over a mat at both the start and the finish? I always go by the chip time but the most accurate times are when you run over a mat at the start and the finish. If there is only a mat at the finish, I go by my watch because then even the chip time isn't as accurate.