Omnivore's Dilemma

LOVEsummer
LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone read this book?!

So after reading it, I am trying to be much more conscious of how much processed food I allow into my body!!! I really got grossed out when I read that a Chicken McNugget has over 30 ingredients!!! Ugh, no more (well at least way less) High Fructose Corn Syrup for me! I'm also going to try and cut back on my Splenda!! I need to eat healthy food and realize that it's not only about how many calories I eat, but where those calories are coming from!!

If you haven't read this book, grab it or read it for free on Google Books!!!

-Ashley

Replies

• Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I agree, that book was so informative. I have been doing the "basic ingredient" thing for a long time now but that book opened me up to so much more about corn itself and the whole feedlot thing....very eye opening and ICK! I live in VT so have easily been able to since start getting local beef and lamb and opt out of the whole meat-feed chain. Am still working on the poultry though. I would recommend that book and philosophy to everyone!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    What scares me are 0 zero calorie foods. Anything that doesn't have calories, can't actually be food (unless it's water, of course). The idea of stripping everything natural out of food and replacing it with chemicals- scary stuff.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    every thing has a trace of calories in it and that includeds water the best thing is to go back to the old ways and make it yourself not only is it better for you you can keep your portion were they should be
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    If you liked Omnivore's dilemma you should see Pollan's movie Food Inc (or read the book). Another very informative piece of journalism. There's a clean eaters thread here on MFP you're all welcome to join! :smile:
  • Empty calories suck because they are taking the place of calories that actually contribute to the repair, growth and maintenance of the body's cells.
This discussion has been closed.